Desperate for ANY job.

Comments

• Dunroamin
    Dunroamin Posts: 16,908 Forumite
    As your lack of qualifications seems to be one of your problems, have you considered working towards some more?

Also, your CV may be ok but are you tailoring it to the jobs you're applying for? Is it chronological or skills based?
  • LannieDuck
    LannieDuck Posts: 2,359
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    What are your partner's job prospects like? Could she get work while you look after the children?

Also, I would go through small claims and get the car back (although too much time may now have elapsed). No point trying to keep things civil - that boat has sailed.
    Mortgage when started: £330,995

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”
    Arthur C. Clarke
  • Idiophreak
    Idiophreak Posts: 12,024
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    LannieDuck wrote: »
    No point trying to keep things civil - that boat has sailed.

Exactly this. Your uncle's decided how he wants to play it - and you need money. So start working on getting the car back and the wages you were due.
  • dancingfairy
    dancingfairy Posts: 9,069 Forumite
    Have you looked into the Princes trust or other start up funds from the job centre? princes trust will pay for some courses or give you money to start up your own business.
    As well as this you need to start chasing the money you are owed from your employment - try atrip to CAB for a starters. You will want to get everything sorted so you can square everythingwith HMRC for tax purposes etc.
    df
    Making my money go further with MSE :j
    How much can I save in 2012 challenge
    75/1200 :eek:
  • steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    If you can't repair matters with your uncle, you might as well sue him in small claims court for return of the car, your last pay check and notice pay (5 weeks if you had 5 years employment).
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Im still trying to work out how he can take the car which you bought with your xmas bonus.
  • CJShep13
    CJShep13 Posts: 8 Forumite
    First thing that caught my eye with your situation is the debt your currently in. First of all, things are not as bad as you may think they are.. I am currently in a lot of debt and i'm currently only on JSA. As i recently lost my job and i currently have less than £50 a month to live on (After priority bills paid (Rent/Electric)) and i owe less than £15,000, i have recently looked into something called a Debt Relief Order through StepChange.. If you qualify, the companies you owe money to are not allowed to contact you at all for 12 months. After 12 months, if your circumstances have not improved, your debts will be written off. If your circumstances have improved, then you will be assisted with how you can pay the debts. I would suggest looking on that website and clicking on "Debt Remedy" and fill it in and see what it suggests. That would be one thing you don't have to worry about at the minute.

Secondly, you say you are interested in self employed. There is something you can do through the Jobcentre called "New Enterprise Allowlance". I would suggest reading through the info and maybe talking to your Jobcentre advisor. You never know, it could be a step in a right direction..

Feel free to drop me a message or reply here about both options above as i'm currently in exactly the same situation as you with debt and job issues.

Disclaimer: The above is what i remember off the top of my head so i may be slightly wrong. I would suggest contacting them for more solid advice. A DRO may affect your credit rating and make it difficult obtaining credit.
    93123 Posts: 290
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Idiophreak wrote: »
    Exactly this. Your uncle's decided how he wants to play it - and you need money. So start working on getting the car back and the wages you were due.

I agree.

The car is yours. Why'd you give it back?
  • Williamf1989
    Williamf1989 Posts: 74 Forumite
    Thanks for all the response guys.

I have discussed becoming self employed with the JC, its something i want to do however im a little worried about signing of with the prospect of not getting any work and losing the JSA.

My partner currently works at music festivals, the hours long but the money is good and is cash in hand,
  • Jarbuhu
    Jarbuhu Posts: 43 Forumite
    Working for family is generally a bad idea. I still get called a bad worker because I took a day off to see a doctor about a scratched cornea. Right, who needs to be paid less than minimum anyway? Have you tried applying to places like ASDA and KFC? They might not be ideal, but they're money in the bank.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure