PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Chocolate Fountain - any tips!

Options
Hi all

I've done a quick search and remember seeing some tips on the best chocolate to use sometime last year but I can't find them. Can anyone point me in the right direction or pass on experience as kids are really excited about trying it and I can't hold them off any longer! It looks quite daunting and I don't want to waste money buying the wrong chocolate.

Comments

• carrieparkinson
    Options
    ive heard that galaxy is the best sort... about 400g a time . i hAVENT got a cf yet, santas bringing it..... but ive dun a lil research ready..
    does my bum look big in this sig?
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    There's a thread that has a link in it which mentions Belgian Chocolate. That's the closest I could get. Sorry.

Oh... you want the link?

http://www.chocolatedrops.co.uk/productshire.asp

:)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • black-saturn
    black-saturn Posts: 13,937 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yes it was agreed belgian chocolate was the best. I'm planning on having one at my wedding.
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    £10 postage for buying a £9 pack of chocolate!!! Hmmm think I'll try the cheapest chocolate I can find when we test ours out! Ours came with a booklet which told you how much oil to add to the chocolate if you weren't using the "special formula" one. ;)
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • magnolia65
    Options
    We bought one last year for my daughters B/day party and just used 2 large blocks of Cadbury's and added the stated amount of oil... it tasted fine
    Not in debt at the moment, but been there in the past and realise I'm the kind of person who could easily fall back into it with the self destructing spending button so making sure I keep on top of being a good girl.

2.00 saver club = 46.00
    1.00 Friday saver club = 5.00
  • Always_Marvellous
    Options
    I have used Cadbury's and it was fine. I have also tried Galaxy and that was fine too. :D When we first used ours we were a bit wary of putting oil in but you definately can't taste it and we even put a bit extra in to make the chocolate run better.

When we first set ours up it said in the instructions you should use a chocolate high in cocoa solids which we did but it tasted horrible so I reckon just use what you prefer to eat:drool:

Have a great time trying it out!
    :rotfl: Everything is always marvellous...eventually!:rotfl:
  • irishwench69
    Options
    Actually (actually!), cheaper chocolate is good......it's because of the chocolate : fat ratios, meaning you add less oil to the cheaper chocolate.

We have used tesco and sainsburys value chocolate (as in literally the 50p / 200gr bars!!).......both YUM!

If you want, I can dig out the booklet that came with mine for amounts of oil that's reccomended?

Ooh, want to dig mine out now........mmmm, can I justify it when it's only me and OH?! :p

HTH,

IW x
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 222 :beer:
    :T Debt free wannabe - Proud to be dealing with my debts! :T

Remember the MoneySaving mantras!

IF YOU'RE SKINT......
    Do I need it? Can I afford it? Can I find it cheaper anywhere else?

IF YOU'RE NOT SKINT......
    Will I use it? Is it worth it? Can I find it cheaper anywhere else?
  • zoologygeek
    Options
    In my fountain I used Asda's own brand chocolate & it worked a treat...dont forget to put a little veg oil in it to get it lovely & smooth & shiny!!!
    Just a tip thou cause we learnt the hard way.....if you add vodka to it (for the big kids oly!!!)make sure you add it to the melted choc before you put in the fountain. I added vodka staight into the chocloate in the fountain & it became all congealed & horrible & I had to start over!!!
  • DopeyDylan
    Options
    Hi All,

I've bought my sis a Chocolate Fountain for chrimbo.... however, due to a voucher code problem it's cost me more than I expected, and doesn't include any chocolate....

I have 2 questions....
    1) Anyone know whether the chocolate required for these things is different to just a slab of the normal stuff?

2) Anyone know where I can buy some chocolate that is suitable for the fountain (pretty cheap)?

Thanks in advance you lurvly people!
    Dylan
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Options
    You can use just normal chocolate and Tesco's value chocolate is really quite tasty, we use it for chocolate fondue all the time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure