18 digit NUS Number

I go to Nottingham Trent Uni and have a student card which I presumed was NUS. However, there have been a few instances where I've applied for student discounts online and they want this 18 digit NUS number. This isn't on my card, all I have is a 10 digit code underneath a barcode: C4204.....etc.

My question is whether my card is actually anyhting to do with NUS. It has the small NUS logo on the front and I get the in-store discounts. It's annoying because I've missed out on a few deals. Anyone know what's going on? :confused: TIA.

Comments

• I'm afraid i don't know the answer, but my student card from durham is definatly NUS but it doesn't have an 18 digit number on it either. might be worth asking the people who run your union, and NUS themselves?

Alternatively, request an actual NUS card too, i think they should be free if you're already NUS
    Proud to have become an Ocean Rower in 2010 (crossed the Atlantic in a crew of 4 ladies and had the best 77 days of my life!)
  • jr666
    jr666 Posts: 247 Forumite
    A Real NUS Card is red in colour and will have your photo on it as well as your name, your uni and the 18 digit number

You can only get them from your SU and as freshers week is coming up, that is prob the best time to get it.

hope this helps

J
    Come to my garden in South Bucks and i'll find you a wasp...
  • lellie
    lellie Posts: 1,489 Forumite
    that code on your card is your university student number - NUS numbers (18 digit ones) are only on the proper nus card. Your uni student card will say nus because your uni will be affiliated with nus, but it's not a full member card.

You can get a full card from your union - ours charged for them though!
  • As jr666 and lellie say- Check your union.

Ours gave me a stack of them to distribute as I'm the class rep for my course. NUS however, did put out a newsletter saying they were considering charging for them next year. It's not entirely fair but they do need to pay the bills. It would be better if they gave us more though - most places just take a regular student card!

The only useful place I've seen the NUS card required is Orange. If you use it on the website you get access to some really good student contract plans which are much cheaper than the regular ones but have more perks!
  • mr_pinkle
    mr_pinkle Posts: 16 Forumite
    Thanks all, I'll have to take it up with my uni. Have to wait for a year though cos of industrial placement.
  • jr666
    jr666 Posts: 247 Forumite
    the nus are thinking of introducing another type of card soon that students will have to pay for (£10-15ish i think) that offers good discounts applicable to your local uni town

They are still gonna have the normal red one for free (unless u have to pay for it, gutted ;) ) but may have less high street discounts on it for the future

check out nusonline.co.uk for news.

some uni's (bath uni for eg) have their own card (ours is called the blues card) that offers dicounts at local clothes shops, hairdressers, bars resrurants etc so look out for that next year at your unis.

If they dont do one, pester the SU and ask them why not!!

j
    Come to my garden in South Bucks and i'll find you a wasp...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure