Music Magpie: new quick way to sell unwanted CDs

24 Sept 2008

What's the deal?

If you've old CDs you want rid of, but you don't want to give them away, and you can't bear the rigmarole of listing them all on eBay or the like, there's a new trading site which makes it easier.

Music Magpie cuts down the time it takes to sell your CDs by recognising the case barcodes. You just grab a pile of CDs (minimum 5 per transaction) you want to sell, type all their barcodes in to the system, and the site recognises them and gives you an instant offer price.

It's not perfect though; the system wouldn't recognise all the barcodes I tried (especially when the CD was from another country), and sometimes it'll tell you 'we aren't currently buying this CD', presumably when it already has a backlog of copies to shift.

How does it compare?

Generally, you can expect to receive less than you might from eBay/Cash Converters/Cex, and if you've got any rare releases to sell on this isn't the place to do it. Yet if you've shelves full of dusty old 'classic' CDs, this is a great way to clear them out and earn quick cash.

Most CDs go for less than a pound (usually 60-70p), though some double albums, and especially compilations (for some curious reason) can run to £2.50.

I've got an offer. Now what?

If you accept an offer, fill in your details and you'll be sent some postage-paid envelopes to send stuff back in. Once they've received them, you'll be paid. Thus the whole process costs you nothing (though it can take a little while).

Anything else?

The site's also worth a look if you're in the market to buy CDs, as it sells those it receives off pretty cheaply.

Music Magpie has a sister company, Game Magpie, which (unsurprisingly) trades computer games. It works in exactly the same way, but so far doesn't seem to have much stock. If you've tried it, do please let us know how it went.
Huge thanks to betterlatethannever for originally posting this below!

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place, but this site offers to buy your old Cds for cash and its free to use.
    http://www.musicmagpie.co.uk/

Simply enter the details of your CDs, find out what they are worth and they send you all the packaging you need to send them in.

HTH.
    The first time we said hello, was the first time we said goodbye. As the angels took your tiny hand and flew you to the sky-you forever left us breathless. RIP my beautiful granddaughter :(
  • hmmm not worth it really good idea tho, i tried 2 cds and they only offered me 60p for em both.
    2017 Debt - £14.5k
    2018 Debt - £11K
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,116 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Try Amazon as well, sometimes rarer CDs can do very well. I sold a Rick Wakeman one today for £11, after fees and postage I actually got just over £7 in hand for it..every little helps!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place, but this site offers to buy your old Cds for cash and its free to use.
    http://www.musicmagpie.co.uk/

Simply enter the details of your CDs, find out what they are worth and they send you all the packaging you need to send them in.

HTH.

Thanks for this, I have a box full of old CDs I was going to take to a car boot sale on Sunday, but looks like I may get more through this site! There is a similar one for Mobile phones that I use:
    www.mazumamobile.com
  • mariagti
    mariagti Posts: 3,207 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    thank you OP! I have tones of CD's sitting in shed doing nothing! A couple were worth £1.50 too so far. :) Ive told the guys on debt board about your post as i think its fab! :)
    Make £5 a day JAN £121/175 FEB £283/175:j
    Weekly Grocery budget of £35! Jan £95.05/175 Feb £37.53/175
  • bonsibabe
    bonsibabe Posts: 1,055 Forumite
    Thanks OP, I will certainly be looking out some of mine, although the majority are no longer in cases (i think they will have to be sold elsewhere lol). And thanks to crapwithcash82 as I have a load of old mobiles so will be looking them out to sell on here!
    LBM - August 2008 - Debts then - £33390 :eek:- 2nd LBM - November 2009 - Debts then - £18500:mad:
    Current debt levels: OD £3860, Loan 1 £6091, Loan 2 £5052, Parents £260, Total £16133 :eek: As at 01 May 2012 - 51.69% paid off :j
    Aiming for a No Spend Christmas 2012!
  • this is great, quickest £22.77 ever. I possibly could have got more through ebay / amazon but this is a lot quicker and far less hassle.

It seems to be a similar idea to mazuma - so does anybody know of a dvd and/or vhs version (got loads of both to get rid off)???

xxx
  • Over £22 wow.
    How many Cds did you sell and were they recent or older stuff?
    The first time we said hello, was the first time we said goodbye. As the angels took your tiny hand and flew you to the sky-you forever left us breathless. RIP my beautiful granddaughter :(
  • Over £22 wow.
    How many Cds did you sell and were they recent or older stuff?

think it was just over 40 sold. mostly dance compliations but got £3 for an electric six cd/dvd!!!

xxx
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks for posting this betterlatethannever. I saw it in the paper at the weekend then forgot and chucked it in the recycling before I tore out the details.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure