What's the best white gloss paint in the world?

Comments

• phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    ukwoody wrote: »
    I use a lot of Johnstones and really like it, but I do find the liquid gloss quite runny. According to two local distributors Jonstones has out-performed Dulux in several trade tests over the recent years. Certainly I have no complaints in it's coverage/opacity.

Phils back. Been Yomping again mate?

Woody

Sort of mate. Been real busy too. Burning the candle at both ends. Been working up in London and leaving at silly o clock to meet the traffic and by the time I get home I'm fit to drop!
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • bernlyn
    bernlyn Posts: 132 Forumite
    hi havent posted for awhile but now back into the dreaded diy and i am looking for a good white paint to paint skirting boards and door surrounds.

i did paint a door white ealier this year but it is already turning a yellowish colour. i want the white to stay white
  • bernlyn
    bernlyn Posts: 132 Forumite
    hi have any of yous' had any complaints of these whites tuning a shade yellow.

i am also bookmarking this as i will be starting to paint soon thanks again
  • woodbutcher_2
    woodbutcher_2 Posts: 747 Forumite
    My bro is a painter and decorator and uses Johnstones trade paints.Did my last house from top to bottom and it seems a good product to me.Will use it again on my new place.

Also,i remember watching a consumer programme once were they tested all leading brands of paint by using different ones on different beach huts in a set location.Crown came out on top despite not being the dearest one.This was a few years ago though.
  • maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Dulux, Crown.
    I've only recently discovered that it's the sun that stops white paint going yellow, and the lack of sunlight that causes it to turn yellow.
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • nickj_2
    nickj_2 Posts: 7,052 Forumite
    dulux trade paint are the best , solvent based paints do turn yellow after a while , water based paints tend to stay whiter for longer , but aren't quite as tough as solvent based . they dry quicker and the paint doesn't smell so bad ,
  • snax
    snax Posts: 275 Forumite
    Learn to laugh at yourself ... everyone else has:rotfl:
    Regards
    S.
  • misgrace
    misgrace Posts: 1,486 Forumite
    nickj wrote: »
    dulux trade paint are the best , solvent based paints do turn yellow after a while , water based paints tend to stay whiter for longer , but aren't quite as tough as solvent based . they dry quicker and the paint doesn't smell so bad ,

I agree, plus the finish is not as good as oilbase IMO
  • shown73
    shown73 Posts: 1,268 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    When there were smokers in the house, I never found one that didn't go yellow, and it didn't take long either. Life is so much easier now that we're smoke-free, whites actually stay white.
  • sodamnfunky
    sodamnfunky Posts: 12,303 Forumite
    A tip I was given by a painter to make white gloss stay white longer is to mix a bit of black paint with it. I know I thought the same, but he showed me, and the gloss work we did stayed white for ages.

But as ukwoody says it is all to do with the prep work, get that right and you wont go wrong.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure