Jobcentre plus travel discount card

Comments

• Sorry I have just been reading about this discount for travel for the unemployed, exactly the same thing has happened with me, asked my adviser in job centre been told i'm on work programme (like i asked to be put on there in the first place), went to my adviser there so unhelpful it is beyond a joke. I would love to know how to get hold of the discount on the tube , I already have the one for the buses, we should get what we're entitled to and if we're not don't advertise it
  • hi is there an official government website that gives info about this pass. I was refused bus travel help last week for TWO interviews which cost me £8 altogether. they told me that they only help if you are travelling out of the city. which i think is disgusting. I will be picking my interviews CAREFULLY rather than just go to any that i dont particulary think i wont even get. it was a waste of my time and money this time around.
    My Signature is MY OWN!!
  • Quite shocking that this isn't advertised. I only found out via Johnny Void's blog.

But to reiterate, this scheme is available nationwide.
  • I was lucky enough to have a wonderful advisor while I was signed on, he was the one that told me that I was entitled to this discount travel card and actually encouraged me to get it and would constantly give me reminders about it. When I finally took in my passport photos, he processed it immediately and I had to wait abut 15 minutes for it to get made. It was only valid for three months, but it gave me half price fairs every time I used the train. I don't live in central London, but only about half an hour away in Berkshire. I had the card issued to me in 2011, then again this year, because I signed off after my first six month period last year, then when I signed on again this year I was able to get it after six months. I think I was at the start of the work programme and he let me have it anyway. However bear in mind that even if you do manage to get a pass, some ticket sellers at the station can be really rude, I was once refused in a rude manner because apparently the job centre card discount card could not be found on his computer system. So if you're making a planned journey, it might be worth booking online in advance because the discount card does show up on the website.
    :happylove
  • dazzler4
    dazzler4 Posts: 12 Forumite
    ScaredCrow wrote: »
    I was lucky enough to have a wonderful advisor while I was signed on, he was the one that told me that I was entitled to this discount travel card and actually encouraged me to get it and would constantly give me reminders about it. When I finally took in my passport photos, he processed it immediately and I had to wait abut 15 minutes for it to get made. It was only valid for three months, but it gave me half price fairs every time I used the train. I don't live in central London, but only about half an hour away in Berkshire. I had the card issued to me in 2011, then again this year, because I signed off after my first six month period last year, then when I signed on again this year I was able to get it after six months. I think I was at the start of the work programme and he let me have it anyway. However bear in mind that even if you do manage to get a pass, some ticket sellers at the station can be really rude, I was once refused in a rude manner because apparently the job centre card discount card could not be found on his computer system. So if you're making a planned journey, it might be worth booking online in advance because the discount card does show up on the website.

hi Thanks for highlighting that thread but i dont see any form on post 15 or the link, im still no further forwards with this. if the is a form, it would be a great help as my advisor and her colleagues are denying all knowledge of the form.
  • This card is still available and now is open to people from 3 months of their claim. In January it will also allow free bus travel on major bus companies like First. new guidance has just come out so ask again. Ask the advisor to look on the intranet (internal website ) for you.
  • Well, i have just been back to the jobcenter and they are still saying that they believe this to be something that was available under new deal. am really frustrated. is there not a form online i can complete and take in to them.
    Just dont know what to do next, im spending money i cant afford to look further affield for work.
    thanks for the help guys.
  • Ok just to clarify....these cards have been around for some time. You have to have been claiming for 13 weeks to qualify. They are validfor a minimum of 1 week and a maximum of 3 months. They give you a 50% discount on rail travel and in January there is an extra promotion called BUSES FOR JOBS where it also includes free bus travel for the entire month. You just ask your advisor for the application form and they will complete it with you. All you have to do is provide 2 passport sized photos. Shouldnt be too much confusion as this has been all over the newspapers
  • AP007
    AP007 Posts: 7,109 Forumite
    Ok found this and you can not get it if you have been out of work 12 months or more

http://www.busforus.co.uk/busforjobs

DO I QUALIFY?

The scheme is known as Bus for Jobs and anyone who is aged 18 years or more and has been unemployed for between three months and less than one year is eligible for free travel.
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure