DAB radio under £15. DAB Alarm clock under £20

Comments

• codger
    codger Posts: 2,079
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Actually. . .

On the basis that the cheapest isn't necessarily a bargain, by far the Best Buy anywhere at the moment is the Pure Evoke 3 from PC World at £129 97p.

Comet won't budge from the £200 retail and prices for used examples on eBay are just silly. (Dixons is probably the best genuine buy.)

Sadly, there's a reason for using the word "genuine": PC World won't deliver this Amazing Bargain to anyone. They say it can only be collected from your local store.

Forget local, I haven't found it in any regional store in my part of the world, though I haven't had time to range right across the country.

If any MSEr is lucky enough to find a Pure Evoke 3 in their neighbourhood PC World, then Christmas has definitely come early.

If, that is, PC World ever placed more than one unit on sale at this price in the first place!
  • Just a word of warning for those who use earplugs/headphones.

Every DAB radio I tried had an annoying background hum when using headphones - even when the volume was set at zero!

EXCEPT that is for the Pure Evoke 3 - it really was worth the extra money especially with the digital SKY+ type recording feature.
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,219
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Forumite
    chardir wrote: »
    Anyone know of a good value DAB radio with a line out socket?

The Technika one has a headphone socket you can use :beer:
  • Torkijo
    Torkijo Posts: 506
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    garrypark wrote: »
    Just a word of warning for those who use earplugs/headphones.

Every DAB radio I tried had an annoying background hum when using headphones - even when the volume was set at zero!

EXCEPT that is for the Pure Evoke 3 - it really was worth the extra money especially with the digital SKY+ type recording feature.

The Pure Move is OK for Headphones and the Chronos II

Have tried the £20 Tesco clock radio and the DAB side is fine but it feels a bit plasticy and the Alarm is a very very loud buzzer that will definately wake you up but probably put you in a foul mood for the day - i took it back the next day(same as i did for the £35 Wharfedale one from Argos) ended up with the Pure CHronos II and cant fault it except no line in to plug in the Ipod.
  • Well said, it has to be better than trying to listen to football on Radio 5Live or Talksport after dark. Out in the semi-sticks reception on MW is dreadful. Virgin on 1215 AM is pathetic so DAB has got to be worth a try.

On a broader point, the biggest problem DAB has is that FM is pretty good in the UK and the BBC is brilliant so it is very difficult for other stations to compete.

crispibits wrote: »
    Digitaltoast, I'm not deaf, I just happen to live in an area with no FM reception. If you get FM reception in even a slightly dodgy area you'll get stereo hiss on a portable. To my ears having clear (if slightly 'flanged' at high frequency) reception is better than that dead annoying hiss, or even worse, no reception at all. Please stop assuming everyone lives in a perfect reception area, or listens to their DAB in an acoustically perfect setting. This is a thread about a 15 quid DAB for goodness sake! I now have a DAB, and can listen to the Archers (Radio 4), !!!!!! and Dom (Radio 1), The Evening Concert (Radio 3) and Smooth Classics at 7 (Classic FM) for the first time in years. Anyway, I'll get off *my* soapbox now. Whatever you listen to, enjoy it :-)
  • Take care when buying DAB; several stations have recently shut down their DAB stations as not profitable. An article in The Independant this weekk also questioned DAB sound quality - perhaps this is why they are becoming so cheap.

Unfortunately, I bought two recently, one being the Technika.. the tuning is initally very confusing, even when reading the instructions; but at £15 it is excellent value and the sound quality is similar to my other Roberts.

IMHO, could end up like the Dodo.

Sincerely,
  • Can anyone confirm or deny that the DAB radios we can purchase in the UK won't work in Europe (specifically France)?
  • stann0
    stann0 Posts: 51 Forumite
    Just bought a Technika DAB alarm radio, Very pleased with it. My old FM/AM clock suffered from poor reception at night, just when you want it working.
  • Han_naH
    Han_naH Posts: 268
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I had a Bush DAB radio, which sounded like it had been dropped in a fish tank.

Doubtless, DAB using mp2 is pure rubbish, and go here for the whole history and saga of DAB, DAB+ and why the AAC codec will change this..

http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/

Stories of the BBC launching music stations in glorious 1960s mono, because there was no bandwidth on the multiplex, or at bitrates below 96kbps, making satellite radio (and good quality FM) far superior quality..

Oh dear, maybe the Govt will ultimately sell off the Spectrum...

Expect to pay £5 at a market for a new FM radio.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,350
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Forumite
    MINCER wrote: »
    Well some of us aren't deaf and have now got better sound quality as a result of DAB - not everyone can get perfect FM or MW reception (no more annoying hiss in the background).

Also adding to the 'hysteria' about DAB not being around for much longer is rubbish - if we based success on the number of companies entering or leaving the business then when the Internet bubble burst in the 90's we'd have all gone back to faxes and phones. The market is just trying to find it's natural level - there will be winners as well as losers.

Do you remember Betamax or V2000 and only yesterday Toshiba said no more HD DVD....so bluray win that battle.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure