PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How do you sterilize glass bottles?

I've got a batch of elderflower cordial brewing and need to sterilize some empty wine bottles to put it in. How do I do it? Can't get to the shops to buy Milton. I was thinking of boiling water but wouldn't that crack the glass?

Comments

• MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Hi there
    if you wash them out, and then put them in a warm oven to dry - that should do it....thats what a lot of people do to sterilise jam jars...
    regards jill
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • mandy_moo_1
    mandy_moo_1 Posts: 1,201 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    i do a lot of home brewing, and if i've run out of steriliser, i put a tiny drop of bleach in each bottle,fill it right to the top with warm water, leave it for about half an hour, then rinse with cold running water. just keep rinsing them till you can't smell the bleach any more

i've done this loads of times, and my brews have always worked and i'm still here! ;)
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    MRSMCAWBER wrote: »
    Hi there
    if you wash them out, and then put them in a warm oven to dry - that should do it....thats what a lot of people do to sterilise jam jars...
    regards jill
    That's what I do ;) but another option is to pour the cordial into freezer tubs or bags and freeze. I've only got one decent 'pop' bottle with a stopper so I defrost the cordial and decant it into my bottle and store in the fridge.
  • Gingham_Ribbon
    Gingham_Ribbon Posts: 31,520 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Does anyone do the oven thing with their slow cooker to sterilise it for making yoghurt? How long does it need to be in there to make it sterile?

A friend gave me some milton tablets yesterday but if there's a way of doing it without that's got to help!
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    As long as you don't put them from being really cold to boiling doesn't usually crack, for example milk bottle straight from fridge into boiling water.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • liney
    liney Posts: 5,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Wash in the dishwasher and use while still warm.

HV said it was good enough for babies bottles, so should be fine.
    "On behalf of teachers, I'd like to dedicate this award to Michael Gove and I mean dedicate in the Anglo Saxon sense which means insert roughly into the anus of." My hero, Mr Steer.
  • Gingham_Ribbon
    Gingham_Ribbon Posts: 31,520 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I don't have a dishwasher.
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • liney
    liney Posts: 5,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Then the oven it is for you, or milton.

Oven is 1/2 hour on the lowest setting iirc from my Nan making jam. Use while still warm.
    "On behalf of teachers, I'd like to dedicate this award to Michael Gove and I mean dedicate in the Anglo Saxon sense which means insert roughly into the anus of." My hero, Mr Steer.
  • grannybroon
    grannybroon Posts: 2,214 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi

I am lucky, I have a microwave steriliser from ToysrUs for DGS's bottles when wee (another due imminently!) Hot wash and then rinse and then in the steriliser for whatever time it says - sorry haven't used it for ages so can't remember for how long. When I bring out for jam just give a good hot wash and then heat in oven before pouring in jam (or marmalade).

GB
  • Hapless_2
    Hapless_2 Posts: 2,619 Forumite
    I use the "brewers sterilizer" from a brewing book. I can't remember the mix but it's citric acid and campden tablets in 1 pint of water......I wish I could remember the proportions!
    The "Bloodlust" Clique - Morally equal to all. Member 10
    grocery challenge...Budget £420

Wk 1 £27.10
    Wk 2 £78.06
    Wk 3 £163.06
    Wk 4
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income