Mortgage Exit Fees successes and failures

Comments

• Just received a cheque today for £230 and all I did was use the template posted by this site. The price of a stamp! Great and many thanks Martin!
  • Hi, just wanted to say a quick thanks to Martin. I sent off a relevantly edited version of the template letter to A & L last week regarding their £295 mortgage exit fee and received a prompt reply today containing the sentence....."in view of this I enclose a cheque for £286 which represents a refund of £195 plus interest at 8%". I have to say I am surprised and delighted at my success but have been brought back to Earth with finding the cheque was missing from the envelope. I'm sure it's just an oversight!
  • I sent my letter to Santander requesting my mortgage exit fee on Monday and recieved a cheque for £174 on Thusrday. They said the fee I paid was £75 and the rest was interest. I changed from them to the Northern Rock in 2001. I didn't have the account number either, just put the date roughly and left the rest to them Great result!!!!:j

Going to try it with the London Mortgage Co now, I'll let you know how I get on!
  • vjhicks
    vjhicks Posts: 5 Forumite
    Called Nationwide to try my luck as we moved house in 2007. They acted confused and kept asking where I'd read about claiming money back, but said they'd look into it. Had a surprise letter about 2 weeks later saying they think their £90 charged is fair HOWEVER, as it wasn't stated in my original contract, they enclose a full refund!! £90 for a phone call!!! Wey hey! Thanks!!
  • Jebby
    Jebby Posts: 1 Newbie
    Thought I'd give Intelligent Finance, my first mortgage company a ring just to test the water. I had no account details, original offer etc. An operative named John did the digging and said I paid a MEAF of £140. He said he thought this seemed about right for the time I left, but he could raise a claim and I would hear from IF.com in due course, in writing. Within 10 minutes, I kid you not, John rang me back saying he had 'dug a little deeper' and my offer stated the MEAF was £50, he was arranging for the balance to be paid direct into my current account I have with them. I will leave it a few days and check to see if I'm £90 richer! Cheers Martin, I owe you a pint!:beer:
  • I only saw the article on reclaiming mortgage exit fees a couple of weeks ago and realised I moved from Egg mortgages to Ing Direct in Nov 2006. I knew I was charged £150 exit fee because I remembered questioning this at the time as I thought the fee was only going to be £50 but I was told this was there standard exit charge.

I rang Egg (now Yorkshire bank) two weeks ago after reading the article. I was on the phone 5 mins and they raised a complaint for me straight away. I was told I would have written confirmation within 5 days of my complaint and it would be resolved within 8 weeks. Two weekson and I received a cheque for £100 which I am very happy with. Thanks MSE!!!!!
  • Sent template letter to Intelligent Finance and they wrote straight back offering £140. Not bad for the price of a stamp.
  • slimboy
    slimboy Posts: 25
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thought I'd send an adjusted version of the template letter off to Nationwide last week.
    Received a letter and cheque for £90.00 from them today, stating that the mortgage redemption charge was fair, however, the fee was not agreed in the mortgage offer, so the refund of £90.00

I didn't know of this opportunity until i spotted it on this site, so a huge Thank You.

Good luck to all.
  • New to all this, and cant find the answer to this anywhere on main site ... I had arrangement fees charged to me when altering terms of my mortgage with Northern Rock, does this count as part of the MEAF

Much appreciated if someone can supply the answer

Thanks
  • I rang halifax today to reclaim my exit fees on a mortgage from 2006, i told them i didnt have my account number, after giving a few details they told me that they would look into it and let me know within 8 weeks. Hour and a half later i got a phone call saying to resolve the claim today they would send me a cheque for the full £175 i paid. Which i duely accepted.
    Many thanks
    for the information on this website which really helped!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure