Cancelling an e-cheque?

Buyer bought an item worth £107 on monday night, paid by the dreaded e-cheque. I sent him a message saying item will be sent when e-cheque clears approx 10 days (the carp paypal tell you about 3-4 days is a load of rubbish, its always been longer than that!!)

He email me telling me he wants the item by the weekend desperately and if i cancel the payment he will pay using his card not bank transfer so its instant. I have told him that there is no option to cancel it, he says he has spoken to paypal and only i can cancel it. BUT there is no option to do this.

He has great ebayer feedback over 7 years so i dont think hes a scammer, but what can i do about this payment.

I basically think i cant do anything and we both just have to wait it out now is that right?

By the way dont worry item is getting sent special next day delivery etc..

Comments

• Why dont you invoice the buyer for the correct amount and refund the other payment once cleared ?
  • You're right there isn't a lot you can do. To my knowledge an e-cheque cannot be cancelled.
    --><-- Sugar Coated Owl --><--

If you believe, you will survive - Katie Piper

Woohoo! I'm normal! Gotta go tell the cat.
  • divadee
    divadee Posts: 10,609 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Stubbarama wrote: »
    Why dont you invoice the buyer for the correct amount and refund the other payment once cleared ?

i dont think the buyer would be happy to be out of pocket £214 whilst waiting for the e-cheque to clear and then trust me to refund him.

I think he will just have to wait, im not in a hurry its the buyer that wants it by this weekend.
  • trust works both ways i guess - might check his feedback, see what its like as a buyer and then consider sending it out? ask that and see how he reacts, maybe ask for half the money again on the card and once the echeque has cleared, refund half the amount received?
  • divadee
    just had another message from him saying that he has spoken to paypal again, and that i can definately cancel but its just not possible as far as i can see.

he is saying he needs to pay by tonight at the latest to get it before friday when he goes on holiday, i know this is gonna turn out bad. :rolleyes:
  • steviebabes
    steviebabes Posts: 2,032 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    If they have good feedback and long standing ebay members I would just send the item out. I have done this on several occasions without a problem. Good honest ebayers outnumber scammers by quite a large majority no matter what you read on this forum.
  • the seller can definately cancel an e-cheque, i have had to do it a few times. i cant remember how exactly but it was pretty simple, just go to the transaction details in paypal and somewhere it should have the option to cancel it.
  • divadee
    right spoke to paypal or it could of been stephen hawking as i am sure it was a computer i was talking to!! :D

to cancel an e cheque you have to click refund, then refund the full amount, nothing comes out of your paypal balance as you havent received the money yet.

learn something new every day.

Thanks for everyones help.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family