Replacing long zip in a fleece

oldwiring
oldwiring Posts: 2,452 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
My fleece is in other wise very good condition but the zip, although apparently OK will not fit in the clasp, if that's the right word, at the bottom. Sp it looks like either a new fleece or getting someone to replace the zip. If I have read their site correctly I cam get a new fleece for just over £30 from Millets. How much though might it cost to get a full length zip replaced and sewn in, and does anyone know anywhere around Bournemouth Christchurch Ferndown areas that will do it?

Thanks

Comments

• the repair lady I use charges £10 for that length zip to be replaced.
    check out your local drycleaners or shoe repairs [!!] they often have people who do alterations and repairs. Also, bridal shops or small clothing outlets as they often have alterations done.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Zips ain't cheap, £10 sounds like very good VFM!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • lauren79
    lauren79 Posts: 159 Forumite
    I would try SewQuick in the Soverign Centre in Boscombe - they're reasonably priced.
  • brightonman123
    brightonman123 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    primark do fleeces for around £5. dont be proud.
    Long time away from MSE, been dealing real life stuff..
    Sometimes seen lurking on the compers forum :-)
  • My local sewing shop charges over £20, I cannot remember exactly, it's something silly like £22.35.

I charge £10 plus zip. Not because it's a hard job, just because it takes over an hour sometimes to unpick the blinkin' thing and I hate doing it. After awhile my eyes start to cross and I just want to burn it.

Many sewing supply shops do this and as has been said most drycleaners. If it's a good quality fleece it's worth it, some of my cheaper ones I cut up for dog blankets rather than put myself through it.
  • Hi, if it's just the straight bit that wont fit in the puller bit (very technical aren't i ) you may be able to fix it by GENTLY inserting a flat bladed knife and wiggling it open a little more.
    Afraid it may be trial and error with knife to prise open and pliers to pinch shut but it may just work. I do alterations and this has worked on many occasions and saved people quite a bit of money.Worth a try.

This year i WILL have savings!
  • oldwiring
    oldwiring Posts: 2,452 Forumite
    Actually we tried julie's suggestion before reading it, and it has worked. Mystery is how the failure came about as I don't recall stepping on it ot anything similar happening. Thanks all!:beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure