Best Hoover for dog hair/fur (merged threads)

Comments

• grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    N9eav wrote:
    ALSO I am being plagued with a WHICH? pop up for this thread..... Any ideas how to get rid of it?
    I think it was my fault with thoughtless 'cut&paste'. I killed all pictures an links in my post. HTH.
  • Sheel
    Sheel Posts: 45,671
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    When we had mainly carpets at our last house we had a Miele Cat & Dog which was excellent , so another vote for Miele from me icon14.gif
    Same old same old since 2008

• N9eav
    N9eav Posts: 4,742 Forumite
    seems like the cat and dog hoover is well recommended. Now can I justify £160....ouch:think:
    NO to pasty tax We won!!!! Just shows that people power works! Don't be apathetic to your cause!
  • abwsco
    abwsco Posts: 979 Forumite
    N9eav wrote:
    seems like the cat and dog hoover is well recommended. Now can I justify £160....ouch:think:

They're currently doing a free 2 year cover on the hoovers. We have an independant stockist nearby and I was able to buy mine in 3 installments with no extra charge. May be worth seeing if you can find the same. My Miele is 10 years old and still as good as new.
  • raeble
    raeble Posts: 911 Forumite
    Have a look in argos - looking in the new catalogue there are various cleaners in there that claim they are ideal for bet hair - starting at a lot less than £160 (the miele one is in argos for £38 more). I think anything with a high wattage 1700+ should be good at shifting pet hair. The Miele is 2000 watts.
  • Eels100
    Eels100 Posts: 984 Forumite
    Hi folks, hope you can help.

We've just bought our first home so money is tight, and I decided on the cheapest hoover I could find because there just hasn't been cash for anything better (£40 teeny cylinder).

But it's rubbish, it doesn't pick up anything, the only way it lifts hair is if you use the head to scrub the carpet then pick the hairs out of that every minute or two! So, more fool me - you obviously get what you (don't!) pay for when it comes to hoovers! OH is threatening to go and buy a Dyson which will probably be a couple of hundred quid and that's really more than I think we ought to spend. SO I thought I'd come and ask here for any recommendations.

I'd rather pay the extra money and have something that works than fall into the false economy trap for a second time, but I would like to know if there are any moneysaving equivalents to the pricey Dyson? I have a cylinder in my head because our house is only small and uprights seem so heavy and awkward when cleaning stairs, BUT I'm open to any suggestions. With 2 dogs and 2 cats we're living in a furry wonderland!
  • Having owned Jack Russell's that had polar bears as ancestors you have my heartfelt sympathy. My solution was the most powerful upright Hoover I could find and a handheld Dirt Devil for upholstery and stairs. If money's tight, you might be able to source a recon Hoover which will be just as good as a brand new one, but the case will look pre-loved. Dyson? Some people love 'em, I wouldn't give one house room !
    The real moneysaving tip is grooming all the pets twice a day. Good luck.
  • jessicamb
    jessicamb Posts: 10,446
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Cant beat the Dyson IMHO for pet hair - if money is the issue they have got £50 off both the cylinder and the upright in the Argos sale.

Not sure about anything else though (all the others I've tried are rubbish, sorry)
    The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese :cool:
  • ---lee---
    ---lee--- Posts: 921 Forumite
    jessicamb wrote:
    Cant beat the Dyson IMHO for pet hair - if money is the issue they have got £50 off both the cylinder and the upright in the Argos sale.

Not sure about anything else though (all the others I've tried are rubbish, sorry)

I second that. My hairy golden animal is my avatar. He creates a massive amount of hair every day. We've had a Dyson DC07 Animal for about 3 years and it picks up all hair from carpets and wooden floors on the 1st pass. It's an upright and it does not blow hair around on hard floors like most do - just picks it up. It seemed expensive when we got it, but boy can you see the difference. The only downside is that they are VERY heavy and so difficult to lug up and down stairs.
  • wigginsmum
    wigginsmum Posts: 4,150 Forumite
    Yup - we've got the Dyson Animal (small cylinder one) and it's great with 7 shedding cats.
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure