Best Hoover for dog hair/fur (merged threads)

My HENRY, trusted for many years can no longer cut the mustard. Our new dog is shedding fur (rather than hair) everywhere. It's like lambswool and so just wants to stick to the carpet. I generally keep the dog out of the carpet area, but......... anyway Any suggestion for a new vaccum which can beat the carpet clean of fur?
NO to pasty tax We won!!!! Just shows that people power works! Don't be apathetic to your cause!

Comments

• trace-j
    trace-j Posts: 783 Forumite
    Have a look on these threads for some recommendations.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=66548&highlight=dyson
    :idea:I got an idea, an idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about:idea:
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I quote which?extra as usually:

Vacuum cleaners: Best Buy guide

To make the grade as a Best Buy, a vacuum cleaner must come up with the goods in our rigorous tests. Here’s what we look for in each Best Buy.
    First and foremost, excellent cleaning ability on at least one floor surface. Carpet is the hardest surface to clean, so any model that rates highly there is a strong contender.

Second, dust that’s sucked in should stay in. Some models have poor filtration systems, which allow dust to escape back into the room through the exhaust, so our cleaning ratings take account of this, too.

Finally, we look at the brand’s reliability record. Each year we survey 30,000 Which? readers to find out which brands’ vacuum cleaners are least likely to require repair. We don’t make a product a Best Buy if its manufacturer has below-average reliability.

Cylinder vacuum cleaners

Cylinder machines now outsell uprights and are leaving uprights for dead in our tests.

In recent years, our Best Buys have been dominated by two relatively modest-selling brands, Bosch and Miele. Both brands’ cleaners excel in our tests and have a good record in our reliability survey.

The Bosch BSG 71810 GB Formula is a real star on wooden floors – laminates and floorboards alike – where it leaves virtually no dust behind. It’s pretty good on carpets, too, though the Ergomaxx just has the edge. It retains dust well and, for a cylinder, it deals effectively with errant pet hair. It’s fairly lightweight and is one of the quietest vacs we’ve tested. And, with a long power cable and good-sized hose, you can cover lots of floor before you have to change sockets. It’s not the best bet for allergy sufferers but, otherwise, this is a good choice. It’s great value at just £90 from Argos Extra or £100 in Miller Brothers.

The jazzy green Bosch BSG 82000GB Ergomaxx has impressive carpet and floorboard cleaning. It’s great at getting rid of dust and allergens, too. It has a quiet motor and is pretty easy to use; changing the bag and filters, for example, is much easier than with many other models. But there are two areas where it’s less successful: if you have laminate floors or moulting pets this is not the vac for you. Unfortunately, this vac is becoming increasingly scarce. You should expect to pay around £115 online.

Like its predecessor, this updated version of the Miele S571– boasting new bags and higher power – is an excellent cleaner, on any surface. In a stylish black design, it’s a great all-rounder. It’s also pleasingly quiet and easy to use and – most importantly – not too pricey at just £120 in John Lewis.

Like other Miele models we’ve tested, the Miele Xtra Power 2300 is an excellent cleaner. Its macho ‘Xtra Power’ name is a reference to the 2,300-watt motor, which is far stronger than most vacs. Several manufacturers are increasing motor power, but it doesn’t always result in better cleaning and can often be noisier. Happily, Miele machines are constructed superbly, with good brushes and filtration. The Xtra Power cleans brilliantly well and keeps the noise down too. Costing £275 in Comet, it’s far from being a budget buy but Miele has a solid reputation in our reliability survey, so you should have many years’ happy cleaning with this model.

Finally, the Miele S4210 gives Miele a third Best Buy slot. This pale yellow model is lighter and slightly smaller than the other Mieles, so a good choice for small flats. And it’s reasonably priced at just £120 in Miller Brothers. Miele is introducing a modified nozzle, which it claims will bring even better results for this model.

Upright vacuum cleaners

Plenty of people prefer uprights but few are as good at cleaning as the best cylinders.

In recent times, the only uprights we’ve found that clean as well as the Best Buy cylinders have been Dysons. The Dyson DC07 Animal , Dyson DC14 All Floors and its newest model, the Dyson DC15 (also known as The Ball) did outstandingly well in our tests. The problem is that Dyson’s reliability is consistently below average, so they all miss out on being a Best Buy. If you decide to plump for them anyway, you can find the DC07 Animal online for about £250 and the DC14 All Floors for £240 in Argos. The Ball is currently £260 in Miller Brothers.

The Bosch BUC11700GB Extraxx 17 has been discontinued so you might have trouble finding one anywhere but online, where you’ll pay about £140. It’s worth seeking out as cleaning is excellent on hard floors and, as long as you empty it before it gets too full, it’s good on carpets, too. However, it is the noisiest of our Best Buys and allergen retention is poor.

Updated August 2005
  • Stink_Pod
    Stink_Pod Posts: 38 Forumite
    I've got the Dyson Animal, and although I agree that they lack reliability, this particular one is used every other day, still going strong 2+ years after buying it.
    It copes beautifully with the clumps of fluff left by my two long haired mogs. Like your dog, they shed it tufts that stick to the carpet, not fine hair like you would get from a shorthaired cat or dog.
  • N9eav
    N9eav Posts: 4,742 Forumite
    Thanks for quoting Which. unless you buy their mag you can't look at their website.

The Dyson is a consideration. My Mother has had 2 catch fire, but the latest one seems to be working. I may have to borrow it and see.

keep me posted if anyone has had good results with theirs on hairy fluff
    NO to pasty tax We won!!!! Just shows that people power works! Don't be apathetic to your cause!
  • stressedoutmum
    stressedoutmum Posts: 1,194 Forumite
    I'm still using my Dyson 01 for over 10 years now and its brilliant and getting rid of dog hair. Cant comment on the new models though.
  • gk172
    gk172 Posts: 1,875
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    3 long haired dogs and 2 kids and i bought a hoover pure power for £60 ish well over a year ago and its still picking everything up just fine, i also have the dc07 for animals 3 years old now and had to replace many things including the brush bar which again is on its way out:mad: .
    The more i save the more i can spend:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
  • larmy16
    larmy16 Posts: 4,324
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I am a cleaner. My eyes light up when a client has a Miele Cat and Dog cylinder. I love love love them. I find them the best vacuam cleaner. I like Henry too, but Dyson **** I hate with a passion. Clumsy and unwieldy, all of them, cylinders and uprights alike.

They dont last long either.

Hope this helps :)
    Grocery Challenge £139/240 until 31/01
    Taking part in Sealed Pot No.819/2011
    Only essentials on Ebay/Amazon

• abwsco
    abwsco Posts: 979 Forumite
    Another vote for a Miele from me. Fantastic machine.
  • N9eav
    larmy16 wrote:
    I am a cleaner. My eyes light up when a client has a Miele Cat and Dog cylinder. I love love love them. I find them the best vacuam cleaner. I like Henry too, but Dyson **** I hate with a passion. Clumsy and unwieldy, all of them, cylinders and uprights alike.

They dont last long either.

Hope this helps :)

Can you tell me the model? Is this a specific pet hoover?
  • N9eav
    ALSO I am being plagued with a WHICH? pop up for this thread..... Any ideas how to get rid of it?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure