Wonga and ID theft

Kimou
Kimou Posts: 14 Forumite
Hi,

I am curious to find out whether anybody has been targeted for identity theft and told that you may not be able to retrieve your money due to it being a loan comany that has taken it?

I have just had over £2000 taken out of my Barclays account by Wonga. I've never had any dealings with them before yet someone has somehow managed to use my bank account to pay for four loans that have not been paid into that [my] account. And I have, apparently, no rights due to it being a finance company.

It has been reported to the bank's fraud team and also Wonga's fraud dept. I've yet to hear back from them, but is it really so? Do I have no protection at all?

Any comments would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    My first thought is do you have any loans with any other PDL co's who are linked with wonga eg part of same group.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Who told you that you have no rights ? Have you spoken to your bank yet ?
  • Kimou
    edited 15 February 2012 at 6:22PM
    @DCFC79
    Hi, No. This is completely out of the blue. I don't even have bank statements delivered anymore. I have no idea how they came to have my details as I'm extremely careful with disposing my correspondence and my bank details.
  • Kimou
    @ Meers53.
    It was the bank that told me this, or rather that I very very little rights. They need to ascertain whether Wonga are willing or not to give over the details of where the money went.
    I shall seek other independent advice, but I thought mayber perchance someone here has been in a similar predicament.
  • Kimou wrote: »
    I have just had over £2000 taken out of my Barclays account by Wonga. I've never had any dealings with them before yet someone has somehow managed to use my bank account to pay for four loans that have not been paid into that [my] account. And I have, apparently, no rights due to it being a finance company.
    Have you ever agreed to pay a Wonga PDL for a friend or family?
  • Kimou
    @LovelyLeeds
    No. No dealings whatsoever with them. There's aboslutely no connection with me in any way.
    It's blatant ID theft, and this will manifest in any enquiries by the respective fraud units. That's why I can't understand that seeing it is so, how come I am not protected by my bank and only in the instance of it being a finance company that they can't protect me.

I even asked the investigator "is there a potential for me to not reclaim my money" and he replied "yes, there's a real chance of that happening".
    It's beyond absurdity.
  • Kimou wrote: »
    @LovelyLeeds
    No. No dealings whatsoever with them. There's aboslutely no connection with me in any way.
    I can't believe they wont try to help - keep us informed on any progress you make. Good luck.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I can't believe they won't refund either. They have to refund unless they have proof of why they shouldn't. It could just be card fraud rather than ID fraud.
    The OP needs to push Barclays for more information.
  • FSA Rule BCOBS 5.1.11R says:

" (1) Where a banking customer denies having authorised a payment, it is for the firm to prove that the payment was authorised.

(2) Where a payment from a banking customer's account was not authorised by the banking customer, a firm must, within a reasonable period, refund the amount of the unauthorised payment to the banking customer and, where applicable, restore the banking customer's account to the state it would have been in had the unauthorised payment not taken place."

That suggests that the bank is wrong. You might wish to contact them again and "remind" them of this rule.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I reckon they got your details via your pc, is your pc secure, had any viruses etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure