how much can you earn when claiming benefits?

2»

Comments

• "
    Can anyone clarify if that is the case and you have worked under 16 hours a week if your JSA claim can still continue (paying 0.00 per week).
    "

Maybe wasn't too clear.

What I meant was if you are earning around £75 - £80 a week, sometimes more sometimes less, whilst working under 16 hours a week can a claim for JSA (income based) continue ?

Obviously because of exceeding the single person earnings threshold of £65.50 you would receive zero JSA each week.

However would you eventually qualify for Support for Mortgage Interest (SMI) after the 13 week waiting period ?
  • NASA_2
    NASA_2 Posts: 5,571 Forumite
    pontdugard wrote: »
    "
    Can anyone clarify if that is the case and you have worked under 16 hours a week if your JSA claim can still continue (paying 0.00 per week).
    "

Maybe wasn't too clear.

What I meant was if you are earning around £75 - £80 a week, sometimes more sometimes less, whilst working under 16 hours a week can a claim for JSA (income based) continue ?

Obviously because of exceeding the single person earnings threshold of £65.50 you would receive zero JSA each week.

However would you eventually qualify for Support for Mortgage Interest (SMI) after the 13 week waiting period ?
    I checked the decision makers guide and as usual it is as clear as mud:confused:
  • "I checked the decision makers guide"

Do you know if this is available anywhere for the general public ?
  • healy
    healy Posts: 5,293
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    pontdugard wrote: »
    "I checked the decision makers guide"

Do you know if this is available anywhere for the general public ?

Yes I think you will find it on the DWP website.
  • does anyone know if i work 5 hrs a week and earn about £30 will this change my income support claim?
  • barney45 wrote: »
    does anyone know if i work 5 hrs a week and earn about £30 will this change my income support claim?

yes it will affect your income support claim
  • Thanks for your reply do you know how,or by how much etc ?
  • I'm sure on IS you are allowed to earn £20 before your claim is affected but I'm not sure if that applys to all claimants or specific circumstances, hopefully someone else will know for sure :)
    Credit Card: £796 Left/£900 October 2011 :eek:
    Store Card: £100 October 2011 :o
    Declutter 100 Things In January 100/100:j:beer:
    No Buying Toiletries 2012
  • barney45 wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply do you know how,or by how much etc ?

http://www.newcastle.gov.uk/core.nsf/a/wr_benefitratescapitalmtb
    The IVF worked;DS born 2006.
  • DX2
    DX2 Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    edited 25 February 2011 at 10:19PM
    barney45 wrote: »
    does anyone know if i work 5 hrs a week and earn about £30 will this change my income support claim?
    Assuming you are on IS for being a lone parent/carer you can keep the first £20 from wages then IS will deduct £1 for £1 after that.

If you aren't a lone parent and have a single claim it's the first £5 then £1 for £1 after that.

If you are part of a couple on IS it's the first £10 then £1 for £1 after that.
    *SIGH*
    :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family