how much can you earn when claiming benefits?

my partner is currently claiming income based job seekers allowance. ive been offered some cash in hand work but wanted to know how much im allowed to earn before it affects my benefit? also do i have to inform inland revenue as i'll be classed as self-employed?

Comments

• mcc28_x
    mcc28_x Posts: 176
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'm sure someone will confirm but disregard on a couple claim is £10 - after that income is taken into account pound for pound.

You may need to register as S/E see hmrc website.
    ====================================================
    mcc28_x
    :hello:
    ====================================================

• SomeBozo
    SomeBozo Posts: 1,195 Forumite
    but wanted to know how much im allowed to earn

You have to declare all income.
    also do i have to inform inland revenue as i'll be classed as self-employed?

Of course you do! All income that is not taxed at source must be notified to Inland Revenue. You then fill in a tax return at the end of the year.
    cash in hand
    llowed to earn before it affects my benefit

This smells fishy to me. If you earn money and don't declare it, you are breaking the law.

Bozo
  • suelees1
    suelees1 Posts: 1,617 Forumite
    There's a £10 disregard for a couple unless entitled to specific premia such as a carers premium
    I'll get you, my pretty, and your little dog too!
  • Roxita
    Roxita Posts: 5 Forumite
    I was looking this exactly question. £10 disregard is so much. Thanks
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    The £10 disregard is one thing, working cash in hand is something completely different!
  • As a single person I understand you can earn £60.50 per week plus £5.00 that is disregarded before you do not receive any JSA (income based) for that week.

Can anyone clarify if that is the case and you have worked under 16 hours a week if your JSA claim can still continue (paying 0.00 per week).

After the 13 week waiting period should you then eventually be able to receive some Support for Mortgage Interest (SMI) ?
  • real1314
    real1314 Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    pontdugard wrote: »
    As a single person I understand you can earn £60.50 per week plus £5.00 that is disregarded before you do not receive any JSA (income based) for that week.

Can anyone clarify if that is the case and you have worked under 16 hours a week if your JSA claim can still continue (paying 0.00 per week).

After the 13 week waiting period should you then eventually be able to receive some Support for Mortgage Interest (SMI) ?

Whilst the rates you quote are correct, earning anything over £5 would result in a reduction in JSA on a pound for pound basis.

i.e Earn £30 and your JSA goes down by £25
  • can I ask a question?

What if I dont get much work in over the next 4 months and lets say it adds upto £50 a week could I go to the dole hole and tell them what I have earned then they pay me some cash to bring me upto what a person on the dole would get??????????
    The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

Is the most annoying thing ever
  • healy
    healy Posts: 5,293
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    busterkeye wrote: »
    can I ask a question?

What if I dont get much work in over the next 4 months and lets say it adds upto £50 a week could I go to the dole hole and tell them what I have earned then they pay me some cash to bring me upto what a person on the dole would get??????????

If you mean to go and ask after 4 months then the answer is no.
  • wish I was into car production or banking
    The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

Is the most annoying thing ever
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport