PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Great 'cheap and easy Christmas pudding recipes' Hunt

2»

Comments

• Take_it_like_a_man,_sonny
    Take_it_like_a_man,_sonny Posts: 923 Forumite
    edited 31 October 2012 at 8:01PM
    Mine is being fed whisky at the moment and based on this

http://www.be-ro.co.uk/f_insp.htm

Works everytime!!!

Sauce

Vanilla essence, dated 2005
    Black Treacle
    Cornflour
    Whicky.

No Brandy should be bused as the French sold exocet missiles to Argentina
    I hvae nt snept th lst fw mntes writg ths post fr yu t cme alng hre nd agre wth m!

Cheers! :beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:
  • Stir Up Sunday 25th November 2012 Christmas Pudding
    Traditionally, Christmas puddings were always made on Stir-up Sunday.

(the last Sunday before Advent). All the family took a turn to stir the pudding and make a secret wish whilst they stirred. The pudding was always stirred from East to West to represent the journey that the three wise men who visited baby Jesus made.

Whichever recipe you use soak the dried fruit overnight in brandy/stout or fruit juice.
    Also cook in your slow cooker to reduce the cooking cost.
  • This was my mum's recipe, she worked in service pre war so probably dates back to those days. It is light and ideal for anyone who doesn't like the greasy after taste suet can leave behind.
    I make 2 using a pressure cooker, they mature well so I only have to do this every other year; the alternate year I bake 2 Christmas cakes.

Mum’s light ChristmasPudding

500g. Mixed fruit

150g. Margarine

150g. Dark brown sugar

1-2 Eggs

30 g. Golden syrup or treacle

1-2 tsp. Lemon juice

60 g. S.R. Flour

1tsp. Mixed spice and nutmeg

175 g. Fresh brown breadcrumbs

Glass sherry, brandy or rum

Milk to mix approx. 1 tblsp.

1. Creammarg. and sugar.

2. Beat ineggs

3. Stir insyrup/treacle and lemon juice

4. Mix in dryingredients – flour, spices, fruit and breadcrumbs

5. Addliquids

6. COVER ANDLEAVE OVER NIGHT

7. Prepare 2rounds greaseproof for base and top of basin, place 2 greased rounds in base.

8. Put inmixture

9. Place 2greased rounds on top.

10.Cover andsecure with cloth

11.Steam for6 hours

12.To serverecover DONOT DISTURB DURING STORAGE. Resteam for 2-3 hours.

FOR PRESSURE COOKER:

Use 1 high 1 low basin so they will both fitin cooker.

1. Use 11/2litres water

2. Placetrivet between basins

3. Steam noweight low heat 20 min.

4. Cook highpressure 21/2 hours

5. Reheathigh pressure 30 min.

• aloiseb
    aloiseb Posts: 701 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    .....I already bought mine, a Heston Blumenthal humungously yummy orange one from Waitrose, when they were reduced the other weekend........

.........still over £10 a pop...:o:o:o......
  • wow so many different recipes to have a look through there, thanks everyone! will have to scout about to find the ingredients for cheapest possible since the fruit is bound to be fairly expensive.
    love the idea of stir up Sunday, i had heard of it before but now you have reminded me I will aim to do mine then, and also aim to make 2 and store one for next year. presumably if storing you just do the initial steam and do the final steam next xmas?
    Car Boot Queen!!

Clothes Golden Rule: Never pay full price unless it is an utter bargain in the first place!
    Sales, boots, charity shops, ebay- why would anyone ever pay full price for anything??!
  • sdoogan
    sdoogan Posts: 15 Forumite
    My Grandmother got this reciep from the war time when things were rations and it's still a receipe that we as a family always use and only eat this pudding. I found other xmas puds to heavy and this is a lighter option....
    1 cup grated potato (yes potato)

1 cup grated carrot

1 cup sultanas

1 cup flour

1 cup brown sugar
    1 cup grated breadcrumbs

1/2 cup suet

Mix together with 1 tablespoon of bi-carbonate soda.

Steam cook for four hours and TA DA!!!
  • Buy the cheapest dried fruit you can, the supermarket "saver" range is fine - I always use them. Once the fruit has been soaked in brandy/port/rum/sherry whichever you choose - it will taste just as good as the expensive brand named dried fruit. I made my pudding, cake and mincemeat in July and have kept feeding them with brandy and port. I can safely say they are ready for eating now. Enjoy :-)
  • wow so many different recipes to have a look through there, thanks everyone! will have to scout about to find the ingredients for cheapest possible since the fruit is bound to be fairly expensive.
    love the idea of stir up Sunday, i had heard of it before but now you have reminded me I will aim to do mine then, and also aim to make 2 and store one for next year. presumably if storing you just do the initial steam and do the final steam next xmas?

To store your pudding for next year, fully steam and then allow to cool . Remove outer covering I.e. foil or grease proof and cover with fresh. I use grease proof first and then foil as the rich fruit will pit into the foil over the years storage!
    Store in a cool dry place. Next year they will need a reheating - delicious .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure