Energyhelpline coldcalling/scam?

Comments

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Posts: 1,171 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    This is outrageous. If MSE have any credibilty they'll remove all Energyhelpline links from this site.

They've admitted plaguing people with calls who are registered with the TPS. No doubt they can get away with it because the calls are originating from outside the country. I'm more concerned that MSE countinually 'plug' them, no doubt because they are getting a cut. The cheapest way to switch of course is to go via cashback site and get your own comission, which I don't think MSE highlight enough. Worrying signs for this site, advertising next?

To avoid these calls NEVER give your phone number out. The only people who need it are anybody you've got credit/debit cards with. If anybody else insists on it, give them 01234567890 or a work number. If anything is really important they'll write to you, only sales/marketing is done on the phone. Always opt out of marketing and register with TPS. If you can't see an opt out contact them to make sure you're opted out. As has been mentioned if you do get a call, hang up and don't enter into any conversation. Once your number gets on a marketing list, you're stuffed. I've done all this and never get any marketing calls.
  • Arkwright
    Arkwright Posts: 90 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I keep getting a call of the same nature.

I'm always asked if I'm 'Mr Smith'. Usually I say "No" but, this time I said "Yes". He continued to say he is from Energy Helpline and asked for thr bill payer. I said the bill payer was not in.

So he is going to phone back later.

Anybody else been asked for Mr or Mrs Smith?
  • Sarri_2
    Sarri_2 Posts: 53 Forumite
    I've also had a series of calls over the last couple of days (might have had more but I dont usually work from home) - have explained to them that I'm on the TPS scheme and that they shouldn't be randomly calling me, but the chap I spoke to didnt know anything about TPS..
  • meggsy
    meggsy Posts: 741 Forumite
    edited 13 January 2012 at 3:23PM
    I'm just checking with TPS to make sure I am still registered due to changing home phone from BT - "TPS registration line 0845 070 0707 and select option 2. Alternatively you can e-mail your details (including telephone number) to [EMAIL="tps@dma.org.uk"]tps@dma.org.uk[/EMAIL]"

"Please be aware that if you change your telephone package, obtained broadband or change telephone line service provider for example, we may receive notice from your current/old line service provider that your line has been made inactive. In this case your number would be removed from the file as the service is only intended for live numbers"

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/faq.html#16
  • This cold call is from energy helpline . com. They have 3 call centres in India. Phone up their UK Freephone & check : 0800 074 0745 See Wiki entry for them.
    You can ask them to call back at a specific time & they will. I did an on-phone comparison with them today and was told "I'm on a very good deal". It expires in March31 2014 & they said they would call back then.

I have done this 3 times in 5 years & they tell me the same thing every time. Where's the scam? They helped a friend save £400 per year getting rid of his BG contract.

However, I am not paranoid.
  • snowcat53
    snowcat53 Posts: 602 Forumite
    So glad you enjoy being cold called from India Bunteredy. Most of us do not and do not take kindly to firms that ignore or sidestep TPS rules.
  • Very recognisable spam (this isn't the first time either).
  • I was called by someone claiming to represent Energy Helpline. Although the caller was using an London number (02037515743) I believe the call centre to have been in India. The call was painful. The guy either did not listen to what I was saying or was working through a script resulting in a lot of repetition of questions.
    My current contract does not expire for 5 months and there is a £30 exit fee should I switch supplier. I was offered a deal with Extra Energy that would be cheaper in the long term but would save me nothing was I to switch today. However, the guy insisted it would save me 14% (£133). Eventually an email was sent showing a comparison between my current rate for electricity and Extra Energy. The headline carried the 14% figure but a quick look at the estimated total annual cost showed a saving of £34 from which I would have to deduct the £30 exit fee so no saving over the next 5 months. When challenged the guy told me that the 14% saving was against my current supplier's Standard Tariff!! I'm not on a Standard Tariff. Ah, says the guy, but you will be when the agreement ends.
    I can envisage less numerate people being conned by this deception. Caveat emptor.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 July 2015 at 2:21PM
    Riggindale wrote: »
    When challenged the guy told me that the 14% saving was against my current supplier's Standard Tariff!! I'm not on a Standard Tariff. Ah, says the guy, but you will be when the agreement ends.
    I can envisage less numerate people being conned by this deception. Caveat emptor.

Unfortunately this isn't actually "deception" -its the way OFGEN wanted comparisons to operate -most posters on these forums disagree with OFGEN!:rotfl:
  • Riggindale wrote, "When challenged the guy told me that the 14% saving was against my current supplier's Standard Tariff!!" I had a similar experience with Energy Helpline, who have been brilliant in helping me switch several times to my financial advantage over the last ten years. However, they are not beyond resorting to naughty marketing tricks. In advising me recently to switch from Greenstar Energy to Sainsburys/Brit Gas, they calculated the saving I would make by comparing the proposed S/BG tariff with what I would pay Greenstar if I merely accepted the default tariff Greenstar would put me on at the end of my contract period. The saving seemed so huge that I queried their Greenstar prospective price and was told of the far better terms Greenstar could provide if asked for a re-quote - still not as good as the S/BG deal, but why had Energy Helpline not provided the fair comparison in the first place? This odd kind of 'sharp practice' does undermine confidence in the alleged impartiality of EH and other comparison organisations, as discussed on Radio 4's 'You & Yours' recently.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure