Asda asessment Online

I would like to apply for a job at asda, but a friend of mine applied online and did not get through the online assesmment application.

Does anyone have any tips as to what is needed? There are a lot of questions about what type of person you are, and whether you agree or disagree with statements, such as "I do not like to work on my own", or "I do not listen to gossip". Some are obvious answers, however she was still unsuccessful.

My friend is a very intelligent person, and already has another job. There was no feedback to say why she failed the test. As she cannot reapply for 6 months I would like to ensure I do not fail this test.

Both my friend and I consider ourselves to be suitable for the role, and would like to hear from others who have been successful (or not) in their applications.

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 4 September 2011 at 1:35PM
    Well its hard as im very experienced to have done 3 or 4 jobs at a new asda but was turned down. I dont think there are any tips except answer them truthfully. You may well be experience or feel suitable but that isnt taken into account when your application is assessed as your answers to the questions are looked at first possibly a computer and if you fail the assessment then you get the rejection email.
  • I passed the online assessment and was pleased to receive the following reply bare in mind at no time did I have any face to face contact with ASDA :-

Thanks very much for attending our recent Asda Magic assessment centre and interview to join our team here at Asda. We were very impressed with your skills and attitude and the great news is that we’d really like to offer you a position.
    The not so great news is that unfortunately at the moment we don’t have any vacancies available that match your skills and requirements.

All is not lost though – and we hope you’ll bear with us. For the next 6 months, we will keep your details on our system and as soon as a suitable position comes up we’ll contact you directly to discuss it. As you have already attended a Magic assessment centre and been through the interview process, you won’t need to go through this again, we’ll just invite you into the store for a quick chat about the role. Rest assured you’re right at the front of the queue when a new vacancy does come up.

We’re sorry that we haven’t got something for you straight away. Thank you for your interest in Asda – we do hope to speak with you soon. If you have any questions or queries, please do not hesitate to contact us
  • charlie792
    charlie792 Posts: 1,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    As Thanet62 found I too 'passed' the online assesment, I even went to the ASDA store and had a proper interview, only to be told at the very end of that they didn't have any actual jobs for me and they would contact me in due course should anything arise - after 6 months they sent me an email saying as nothing had become available they were no longer even considering me...Absolute waste of time if you ask me, the way I see it, passing the online assesment even the actual face to face interview is no guarantee of a job regardless as a lot of people Ive spoken to have found the exact same thing...
    MFW 2020 #111 Offset Balance £69,394.80/ £69,595.11
    Aug 2014 £114,750 -35 yrs (2049)
    Sept 2016 £104,800
    Nov 2018 £82,500 -24 yrs (2042)

• Something is wrong here! ASDA appear to be wasting peoples time and effort in On-line assessments/ Interviews with no positions available.

I will pass this on to my MP asap. PLEASE anyone else in this position post comments!
  • DCFC79
    Thanet62 wrote: »
    Something is wrong here! ASDA appear to be wasting peoples time and effort in On-line assessments/ Interviews with no positions available.

I will pass this on to my MP asap. PLEASE anyone else in this position post comments!

do let us know what the MP says about this
  • I applied 2 weeks ago and passed. Within a few hours I was invited to the Asda Magic assessment, which I'm attending tomorrow.
  • Thanet62
    Thanet62 Posts: 84 Forumite
    edited 4 September 2011 at 7:37PM
    raachel29 wrote: »
    I applied 2 weeks ago and passed. Within a few hours I was invited to the Asda Magic assessment, which I'm attending tomorrow.
    Thats the worry my letter/email was worded as if I had attended the "Magic" session (dontcha love the yanks?). Never met a sole!

Good luck tomorrow!.

Let us know how you get on.
  • Thanet62 wrote: »
    Thats the worry my letter/email was worded as if I had attended the "Magic" session (dontcha love the yanks?). Never met a sole!

Good luck tomorrow! I guess asking at the start if there are any jobs following the outcome of the interview.

Let us know how you get on.

I'll assume something is very wrong if I get told there are no vacancies...I've applied to a new store so there must be 100's lol. Maybe they interview everyone who has passed the online assessment regardless of whether the positions have been filled? I know from reading online that a few people have been told there were no jobs but their details will be kept on record and a few weeks later Asda have called offering a job :)
  • mrnkar
    mrnkar Posts: 416 Forumite
    edited 6 September 2011 at 12:46AM
    This is my experience of Asda jobs. I applied online for a permanent job, position of colleague at one of the ex netto stores, due to open shortly. Received email to invite me to a magic session. Great attended session, they were very impressed & even suggested I might be offered job as a shift leader, due to my 15 years customer service experience & the fact I had trained up to be a Team Leader. Told we would need to go on a 4 day training course & ask if I needed to stay in a hotel as it was 40 miles away to travel each day. I said it was ok I could drive. They said they would contact me once all applicants had been assessed.

Having not heard anything a week later, I also applied for another job advertised as a Shop floor assistant at another store.

The next day got a call from a mobile number offering me the first job & telling me all about the hours of work & training. Again asked if I needed to stay in Hotel. I said no & she said I would be able to change my mind if I wanted. Decided on the Saturday it would be easier to stay in a hotel, tried phoning the only number I had the mobile one, no answer, tried again Sunday and same so sent a text asking about hotel & if she could get back to me & let me know if it was still ok. Had a missed call on the Wednesday but then received a text saying they would book hotel & give me details on the Monday when I started training.

A few minutes later I received an email with the offer of a job but they said they didn't have any vacancies available that match my skills and requirements, even although I had said I was basically available to work any hours & any days. They said if I needed to contact them but the number was xxxxxxx. Tried phoning the mobile but again no anwser so sent a text saying I was confused & didn't know whether I still needed to go to the training days.

The next day I received another email: It’s fantastic news that you’ll soon be joining us here at Asda, we’re really looking forward to you starting your new role as a Shop Floor Assistant, & asking me to fill in a new hire form, that's the second job I applied for. Next thing got the call from the mobile number to say sorry I shouldn't have received the email about no vacancies. She also said it was too expensive to stay in hotels so they would hire a coach leaving at 7.15 each morning. I said I would drive. I then mentioned the email for the job as shop floor assistant, told that was also wrong, it should be colleague.

You cannot reply to these emails or there are also no contacts detail. Anyway prepare myself to go to training on the Monday but on Saturday the contract arrives. It offers me only temporary employment for 12 weeks & says should a permanent vacancy occur in the mean time I may be considered for permanent employment. This is not what I was told on phone. Also mentions conditions in the hand book, but I have never see this. I am supposed to return the contract to the store, even if I don't accept the job, but there is just an Asda stamp, no address or phone number & I cannot return it to the store where I had been offered the job as it has closed for 2 weeks to be turned into the Asda. I am not taking the job & have not gone to training as this experience has put me off working for Asda.
  • DCFC79
    That hurts ones eyes mrnkar, try adding a few paragraphs to it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure