PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

chip shop gravy

2»

Comments

• The very worst thing about having moved "darn sarf"- they look at you oddly when you ask for chips & gravy. Oh, and the Oatcakes...
    DTD...Dreading The Detox.
  • Dazi
    Dazi Posts: 1,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    lol @ oatcakes, I moved from 'dahn sarf' to the midlands and am an oatcake convert, in fact, have introduced my southern family to them and now have to take oatcakes down south when we visit.

My Dsis did her shopping online and was pleased to see that there were oatcakes on the list, duly ordered, was not impressed when she received a pack of biscuits (scottish oatcakes)

Have to say, I still have a problem with chips and gravy....IT MAKES THE CHIPS SOGGY lol :rotfl:
    whoever said laughter was the best medicine has clearly never tasted wine

Stopped smoking 20:30 28/09/11 :D
  • uolypool
    uolypool Posts: 1,207 Forumite
    Hi has anyone got a recipe that tastes just like the gravy you can get from the chipshop or gravy from the chinese. As much as I love the odd take away I love the gravy more:D and would love to know how to make it but sadly I have no idea where to start.
    Paul Walker , in my dreams;)
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi uolypool,

This recent thread may help:

chip shop gravy

I'll add your thread to that one later to keep the ideas together.

Pink
  • Bronnie
    Bronnie Posts: 4,165 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 26 September 2010 at 3:55PM
    Authentic chip shop gravy

http://www.nestleprofessional.com/uk/en/BrandsAndProducts/Brands/Maggi/Pages/Maggi_Gravy.aspx

This is the smallest size I can find though.

Have you tried Bisto gravy granules made thicker for a quick fix?

There's a lot more salt in these type of gravies than I think you'd normally dare consider adding to home-made gravy. The mixes are often made quite strong to give a thick, highly savoury gravy.

Tasty, but maybe reserve for an occasional quick hit!
  • B&M shops sell it. it is a 'harry ramsdon' brand and it was about 20p per packet. I have some, not tried it yet, but I can let you know!!
    :beer:
  • I used to work in a chippy that did the most delicious chip shop gravy ever, it was about 8 years ago so can't remember exactly but this is what I remember from how it was done..

Margarine melted in saucepan and flour stirred in with it, crushed up bisto beef stock cubes were added then water added and once it had been cooked for a bit sliced onions were added - I think they had been blanched or boiled first.

I don't think I have missed out any ingredients and sorry I don't have measurements, I have been meaning to make it myself recently and see if I can get it right, if I do I will report back :)
  • uolypool
    uolypool Posts: 1,207 Forumite
    Thanks for all replies all taken onboard :):T:)
    Paul Walker , in my dreams;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport