Help! What is the amount the law says you need to live on?

Comments

• KimYeovil
    KimYeovil Posts: 6,156
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I am confused. Your income is about £1361 and your rent is about £300.

You can not live on £1000 per month?
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,534
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I think Kim has it spot on - in your original question you ask on what the government says a couple need to live on...I believe that is around the £100 mark per week after rent...as you have more than double that you will not be entitled to any extra benefits.
    Can you live in the caravan all year round?
    You will still need to add on council tax

Q. I live on a caravan site, but have to move out when the site closes during winter. Do I still have to pay Council Tax for my caravan?
    A. You can claim an exemption from Council Tax for the caravan during the period that you are not allowed to live in it. You must tell us where you are residing during this time as the Council Tax payable for your temporary address may be affected
  • bestpud
    bestpud Posts: 11,048 Forumite
    viktory wrote: »
    That is one hell of a lot of money - my husband spends £40 a week. This covers travel to and from work (40 miles a day) plus trips out at the weekend. He drives a Ford Focus 1.6. we are looking to downgrade to a diesel Fiesta Climate as it will save immensely on fuel and tax. Perhaps you should consider doing the same.

I was thinking that!

I drive 250ish miles a week on average and only put in about £33 of petrol. That's in a lot of separate journeys too so not the most economical way to drive.

What car do you have OP?

Do have a look around the boards as there is some great cost cutting information on here and it's not all painful either!
  • NASA_2
    NASA_2 Posts: 5,571 Forumite
    Surfer wrote: »
    .....we have had five different assessments in the space of a year although our income has not changed much except that I now get £5.06 per week pension.
    If you earn one penny more/less than previously then a new assessment gets done. Some people would complain over a penny.
  • bigbill
    bigbill Posts: 928
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    You would not get the disability premium if you are indeed over 60?

The amount ignored is your DLA etc.

A pensioner couple should get £198+ ignored + £20 ignored due to the DLA.
  • Kimberley
    Kimberley Posts: 14,871 Forumite
    £60 a week on groceries for a couple? I have three children and me makes 4 and I only spend around £35-£40 a week. You need to find ways to cut your shopping bill.
  • Your wife might just be entitled to working tax credit especially if you get higher rate care DLA, so could be worth applying.

You could also post your statement of affairs on the debt free wannabee board - they are the experts on budgeting and reducing costs.
  • LizzieS_2
    LizzieS_2 Posts: 2,948 Forumite
    After paying rent, food and petrol, you still have £452pm to pay utilities, council tax, insurances, car tax & tv license.

Unless you are living in an extremely large house, it should be manageable even on your choice of spending (you could save on that food bill, says me, lol).

Have you advertised for a house swap to a smaller property?
  • Surfer
    Surfer Posts: 361 Forumite
    Please note that the question asked was about "What is the amount the law say you should live one" and not about our car, rent, food or anything else although there were some helpful answers.
    We cannot understand the way it is calculated and are NOT disputing the amount at this stage. We also asked for clarification on some points and how it is calculated but it seems that only one or two posters answered our question. Do people ever read through a post properly before hitting the "send" button?
    BTW the were one or two totally incorrect answers given and I know they were incorrect as we have first hand experience.
    Those that were helpful know who you are and thanks for the input. I don't think I will be bothering with MSE again.
  • Glyndwr_2
    Glyndwr_2 Posts: 1,176
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Original post:
    Surfer wrote: »
    We are a couple and I am over 60 and claiming ESA and DLA. My spouse works full time. In May 2009 we were awarded housing and council tax benefits but I am having difficulty understanding the calculations.

Net earnings are £244.35
    Unearned income is £69.36. No savings or other income.
    The total amount of income disregarded under the Regs is £36.05.
    a)On the same sheet they have total earnings not counted as £127.65. can any one explain this?
    b)Total income used in calculation is £268.80.
    c)Personal allowance is £94.95 which does not seem right for a couple.
    d)Disability premium is £36.85
    e)Total applicable amount £131.80
    f)Difference between applicable amount and net income £137.00
    g)Excess income is (b-e) = £137
    h)Weekly eligible rent £69.31

Less 65% of excess income £89.05
    Weekly housing benefit awarded £0.00

The above calculation does not seem right for a couple in our circumstances.

I started a temproary job on 24/06/09 finishing on 16/10/2009. We were off benefits during that period and then re-applied. The latest assessment is different in the way it is calculated. We have no faith in this agency as it appears that they cannot calculate benefits correctly and we have had five different assessments in the space of a year although our income has not changed much except that I now get £5.06 per week pension.

Hopefully there is someone who is familar with benefit calculations that can advise as I need to challenge them on the calculations. I want to have all the facts before facing up to them. There is another thread on thsi forum but without the calculations.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure