How to find out Nationwide's roll or reference number?

My mum is having to fill out a benefits form & one of the questions is asking about her building society's (nationwide) roll or reference number?

There's a stack of numbers on her statement, but i'm not sure how to properly decipher it.

How do you find this out other than calling them? Or is this the only way?

Comments

• tanith
    tanith Posts: 8,091
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
  • I'm not sure actually.

The question before this asked for sort code & account number.

I assumed roll number or reference number would be different, as if it is also a sort code & account number, that means that they've asked the exact same question 1 after another on the benefit form.
  • Chadsman
    Chadsman Posts: 1,100
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If your mum has a Flexaccount then you dont use the roll number. I 'think' that is also the case for 'most' NW accounts which are usually quoted with an account number and sort code. As I understand it a roll number is generally used by the smaller Building Societies who ask you to pay funds to their own bank account number at a clearing bank quoting the roll number (your BSoc account number) as a reference.
    God save the King!
    I'll save Winston Churchill, Jane Austen, J. M. W. Turner and Alan Turing.
  • tanith
    tanith Posts: 8,091
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Maybe they are also finding out which type of acc your Mum has as if it were a mortgage acc it would have a roll no so if the roll/reference no is the same as acc no then it can't be a mortgage acc.. best thing is ring them up and ask i'm sure they'll be helpful
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
  • simax
    simax Posts: 1,956
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I can answer this. As Nationwide Building Society has it's own clearing centre, it does not require roll numbers. Just the sort code and account number will suffice.
    I spent 25 years in the mobile industry, from 1994 to 2019. Worked for indies as well as the big networks, in their stores also in contact centres. I also hold a degree in telecoms engineering so I like to think I know what I’m talking about 😂
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure