Christmas Shoebox Appeals

Comments

• play2day
    play2day Posts: 409 Forumite
    I used wine boxes last year! hic! They are always available at the supermarkets. Clarks and some other shoe shops will give you them too if you say what they are for. Still new shoes sound good... there are lots of sales on... and it is for a good cause......
  • play2day
    barmonkey wrote:
    that was it
    :confused:

from this site:

http://www.linkromania.co.uk/appeal%20letter.htm

It's Not Us!

You may have seen some negative press about certain other shoebox appeals and we would like to assure you that we are an entirely separate organisation, with our own printed material, Nationwide network of collectors, etc.

We DO NOT :

· Employ professional fund-raisers with a hard-sell approach to the appeal:T

· Add any Christian (or other) literature to the Shoeboxes :T

· Distribute Shoeboxes according to the recipient's ethnic origin or faith, only their need:T
  • play2day
    *Louise* wrote:
    I think this is a great idea, and would like to participate.:T

I hope you will keep us all posted with any suitable bargains you find. :j
  • Debbie_S
    Debbie_S Posts: 239 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We stopped doing our local shoebox appeal because of a thank you letter one of the ladies received which showed they were going to the wrong place. The letter was along the lines of "Thank you for the doll we are having a great day playing on our Playstation"!
    I used to make up 10 jewellery boxes for girls filled with beads, bangles and necklaces. It would be nice to do this again but know for sure that they really are going to needy children.
    Think of happiness as a kind of mental gardening.
  • play2day
    Debbie_S wrote:
    We stopped doing our local shoebox appeal because of a thank you letter one of the ladies received which showed they were going to the wrong place. The letter was along the lines of "Thank you for the doll we are having a great day playing on our Playstation"!
    I used to make up 10 jewellery boxes for girls filled with beads, bangles and necklaces. It would be nice to do this again but know for sure that they really are going to needy children.

I am sure jamtart6 could help with this? She is a pen pal with somebody who once recieved a shoe box from her and they still sent to the same village. I am sure she will be along soon....
  • *Louise*
    *Louise* Posts: 9,197 Forumite
    Right - I'm going shopping on Sunday and looking to start picking up bits and bobs. Got a couple already - Small teddy bear (still with tags), loads of balloons, and a packet of coulouring pencils.

Have copied this from the site in case anyone else is looking for ideas:

Sweets (not chocolate)
    Soap/flannel
    Toothbrush/paste
    Brush/comb
    Toiletries
    Plasters/nail file/clippers
    Razors
    Gloves/scarves/hats (new)
    Socks/tights (new)
    Hair slides
    Notebooks
    Pens’pencils
    Geometry set
    Scissors
    Felt pens
    Colouring books/crayons
    Puzzle/ball/yoyo/car
    Small teddy bear
    Balloons
    Small toys

^^All pretty easy to come by - could get a few items a week easily.

BANNED ITEMS
    Romanian Custom Rules ban these items. Please make sure they are not in your box.
    No Animal products
    No Food of any kind
    No Coffee, Tea or Alcohol
    No Money
    No Perfume
    No Medicines/medical products
    No out of date items
    No second hand goods
    No seeds
    Cross Stitch Cafe member No. 3
    2012 170-194 2013 195-207.Hello Kitty ballerina 208.AVA 209.OLIVIA 210.ELLA 211.CARLA 212.LOUISE 213.CHARLEY 214.Mother & Child 215.Stop Faffing Completed 2014 216.Stitchers Sampler. 217.Let Them Be Small 218.Keep Calm 219. Ups and downs 220. Annniversary piece 221. 2x Teachers gifts 222. Peacock 223. Tooth Fairy 224. Beth Birth pic 225. Circe the Sorceress Cards x 24
  • jamtart6
    jamtart6 Posts: 8,302 Forumite
    Superdrug have a really good sale on and so does Ethel Austins for bits for shoeboxes..

I have just been to town and bought:
    * Bedsocks 49p
    *Gorgeous pink hat (furry) and gloves set £1.50
    *3 vests £1.50
    *Pink slippers £1.20
    * 2 sets of bobbles pink and purple (about 30 bobbles) for £1

They are my first purchases for the shoeboxes and will be GIRL aged 5-8

:ABeing Thrifty Gifty again this year:A

• I've just brought four childrens hat and glove sets from Tesco for 75p a set :) ..they're so cute and I'm really pleased
  • play2day
    M&S had some cross stitch 'Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady' bookmark kits complete with all threads, chart, cloth, tassles and needle in a nice little box reduced to £1 today. A good addition for a 'family box'.
  • jamtart6
    jamtart6 Posts: 8,302 Forumite
    Asda shopping today:

Pencil case 34p
    Pencils 18p
    Felt tip pens 19p

:ABeing Thrifty Gifty again this year:A

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing