Free 'Cooking Good Food on a Budget' e-Book!

Fire_Fox
Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026
Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
Forumite
edited 5 February 2016 at 1:50PM in Freebies (no spend required)
http://www.ckmhome.co.uk

This needs to be credited to Burp on the Old Style board for finding, thank you Burp! :T The author MarkKeogh also posts on the site, and I understand he would welcome any comments or constructive criticism in order to guide a second installment. The author says

"Please realise I just like cooking and until our change in circumstances we spent more, then my wifes' friend wanted some personal advice so as an author I wrote this specifically for her, then, due to her reaction and pushing, I put it out there to help people.

I don't deny it would have been nice to get published, and tried, but it was impossible to break through so I set up the site for free, as I think something needs to be out there now that covers more of the bases than gathering the information piecemeal as it were, so there it is warts and all.

Anyway thanks again for your post, I'm just pleased no-one has said it's a pile of poo as my wife has told me to look at my cooking instead of engineering for years now and I haven't had the confidence to do it."

http://www.ckmhome.co.uk
And click on the book cover itself to download the PDF. :D

Official MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

The website's a small personal one so may struggle under traffic from the weekly email. If it does, please bookmark the web address and try again later.

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]
Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️

Comments

• Addams
    Addams Posts: 881
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Thanks for that.
    Had a good look. It was fairly interesting, but didnt seem to have alot of variety and not many potato dishes, but good for a change and useful info about other stuff.
    May - £251.63/£155, June - £108.69/£150, July - £157.45/£155, Aug - £104.28/£155
    Sept - £110.80/£150, Make £5 a day in Oct challenge = £50.50/£155
  • This thing seems to be getting up a head of steam now thanks to people like yourselves, so thankyou for your interest.
    All I want to say is Part 2 has potatoes!!
    I know the first part has its foibles so feedback like this is very helpful.
    Please can I ask someone send me an email of any comments as I am working my backside off just trying to figure out how to take a £26 shop and pack it into 7 days meals, let alone write Part 2 in a week, so I am only taking emails most of the time.
    Thans again for the interest.
    Mark
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Apparently the author is going to do later installments including more potato dishes!
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • raven-333
    raven-333 Posts: 2,069
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    thank you :T
  • raven-333 wrote: »
    thank you :T

Part 2 is being released next week for information.
  • Vickii
    Vickii Posts: 11 Forumite
    Looks good thanks for posting :D
    :DHope to change my spend-a-holic ways!!!!! :D

:dance: 09 is all about saving!!!! :dance:
  • Claire_DC
    Claire_DC Posts: 1,269 Forumite
    I hope this isn't seen as trying to offend anybody (be it the member who posted the link, or indeed the authors of the ebook)as I'm really not intending on doing that, but having now read the ebook, I actually could not take it very seriously.

I am not surprised at all that it has not had any interest in being published as it currently stands as there's a lot of repeated information in there, a lot of contradictions (how can going slow in a supermarket be classed as less stressful one sentence, and then make you 'very cross indeed' the next for instance) and a lot of irrelevant information (especially the way it seems to keep going back to immigrants/migrants not being willing to pay much for spices) which to me just seems like unnecessary filler content.

The recipes themselves are very bland and basic with not much variety... yes it seems cheap, and yes it encourages somewhat eating better too but I don't think it's anything new, that most people don't already know or what many people would pay for.

However, having said that... as a freebie, it is well worth downloading for those people who do not have a huge amount of cooking/budgeting experience.:beer:
    Lost lbs =
    Gained £s = Quidco £261.90, Free Fivers £22.26, Matched Betting
  • Claire_DC wrote: »
    I hope this isn't seen as trying to offend anybody (be it the member who posted the link, or indeed the authors of the ebook)as I'm really not intending on doing that, but having now read the ebook, I actually could not take it very seriously.

... yes it seems cheap, and yes it encourages somewhat eating better too but I don't think it's anything new, that most people don't already know or what many people would pay for.

However, having said that... as a freebie, it is well worth downloading for those people who do not have a huge amount of cooking/budgeting experience.:beer:
    I understand your point.
    As an author of mainly technical work for engineering companies for 27yrs, but this was a quick throw together for a friend of my wifes that took 3 days. From that point Mid-August she pushed me to get it out there as she gelled with it so I have developed a website, got free publicity, done live radio features and written her a second issue.
    Please don't take it for any more than it is.
    I have a vast array of ingredients still left in my cupboard and trying to create meals from a chosen few to get our friend confident was quite a challenge so please don't over analyse it.
    Thanks for the comments though, if I try to make it a proffession this is what I'm going to have to work to, but think for one moment of people this might be aimed at who lack all confidence and then might be put off by some of the comments.
    The second Part is on there, so I'd appreciate your comments please because it may become something more. I'm trying to build our friend up with this part into more technical matters.
    You're effectively watching the growth of me showing a friend how to cook remotely.
    All the best
    Mark
  • Both books very useful, thank you.
  • Just had a quick look through the two booklets and wanted to post to say WELL DONE to the author. So often people blame the price of fresh veg and meat for why they eat ready meals, and I believe the sort of knowledge in your booklets is getting lost as the generations pass. Knowing what to do with basic ingredients, other than cook one bit of meat with vegetables, is invaluable and I for one will be taking a closer look later to learn some of the techniques!
    Schools may be interested in these? It seems that this sort of cooking know-how is not being passed down the generations any longer and I think schools need to take some responsibility for teaching children how to cook from scratch.

Thank you Mark and family
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport