Boss requesting to give personal data to third party

Comments

• AP007
    AP007 Posts: 7,109 Forumite
    borderline wrote: »
    she could, she has an account but I'm the one sending the money.

What I would like to know if Data protection Act will allow me to say no to my boss
    its not your money though so I am still lost

If they use a courier to collect money from you, is that it?
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    still can't see why you need an account an email would do.
  • borderline
    borderline Posts: 347 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    AP007 wrote: »
    its not your money though so I am still lost

If they use a courier to collect money from you, is that it?

it's my company's money. They collect it from us, the external company is a foreign exchange business
  • LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 16 April 2013 at 8:42PM
    If they are simply giving access to some kind of extranet, then your passport should not be necessary. It won't enable them to contact you if there's a query! Not everyone has a passport so if you are not personally engaged in international currency courier work, you might not have an unexpired passport.

Does your boss already have a copy of your passport? Is it a data protection issue that has caused the question to be asked - because you didn't provide the data for this purpose?

Is the "account" actually a login ID with password?
  • AP007
    it's my company's money. They collect it from us, the external company is a foreign exchange business
    So they need to set you up an account on their system???

So they can see what you are going to send to them? Ie allowing YOU access to the system?
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • borderline
    If they are simply giving access to some kind of extranet, then your passport should not be necessary. It won't enable them to contact you if there's a query! Not everyone has a passport so if you are not personally engaged in international currency courier work, you might not have an unexpired passport.

Does your boss already have a copy of your passport? Is it a data protection issue that has caused the question to be asked - because you didn't provide the data for this purpose?

Is the "account" actually a login ID with password?

it's the policy of this foreign exchange company to ask for a copy of passport in order to create this type of account. Why I don't know because this account doesn't allow me to order any cash but still they want a copy of my passport.
    HR has a copy of my passport but I would imagine HR cannot give it to a 3rd party , I have to give it myself, and is not me opening the account , it will be an accountant where I work , so I have to give my passport to this accountant so she can enter all my details onto this account and send the copy of my passport.
    I don't really want to give my passport to this accountant either.
    My company won't allow me to have my mobile phone in the office in case I take a picture ( I work with cash) and yet they are ok to give my passport to an external company , this is what annoys me , all these procedures with us but we have to disclose everything to a 3rd party.
  • borderline
    AP007 wrote: »
    So they need to set you up an account on their system???

So they can see what you are going to send to them? Ie allowing YOU access to the system?

yes, that's right
  • Jamie_Carter
    Jamie_Carter Posts: 5,282 Forumite
    It sounds like they are doing a CRB type check. You can actually have one of these done yourself, and then send a copy of the certificate to them. This is one of many companies who do them: http://www.disclosurescotland.co.uk/
  • borderline
    It sounds like they are doing a CRB type check. You can actually have one of these done yourself, and then send a copy of the certificate to them. This is one of many companies who do them: http://www.disclosurescotland.co.uk/

but my question is... can I refuse to do it? can I say no to my boss? saying that I don't want this other company keep my personal details?
    is there a law about this?:smiley:
  • AP007
    yes, that's right
    So they want to safeguard THEIR system

I guess they have their rights to ask or you can not do your job
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure