'Certified Cheque' Scam?

We just advertised a table for sale in Loot, and have received a note from a buyer along the lines of 'I would like to pay for this with a UK certified Cheque and am happy to wait until the funds clear before picking up the item' (I don't have the exact wording to hand as it's on my wifes account)

It's a scam isn't it. The funds are going to clear, the buyers 'agent' will pick up the table, and then the bank will withraw the funds, right?

Or could it be genuine...seems like a lot of trouble to go through for a flat pack kitchen table.

Comments

• skylight
    skylight Posts: 10,716 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Home Insurance Hacker!
    Yep. Your scam alert radar is working well!

Reply along the lines of your bank froze your bank account after they made a big error on a payment from a Nigerian Prince that you were waiting for but it didn't happen because they must have muddled you up with your dead Grandmother who lost her handbag in John Lewis and and had all her house contents stolen. Anyway, all this means that your bank account if frozen, you cannot take a cheque and it will have to be cash.

I doubt you'll hear from them again.
  • seabright
    seabright Posts: 639 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Cheques can be recalled at any time, even after they've apparently cleared. You're right, it's a scammer.
  • omen666
    omen666 Posts: 2,206 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    They can be recalled months down the line especially where they are foreign ones. Scam
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,150 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Wait for the bit where they over-pay you and ask for the change in cash!:D
  • Enterprise_1701C
    Enterprise_1701C Posts: 23,409 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    I thought there was new rules on this - couldn't find it clearly in general circulation but did find this, so still seems unclear!

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=588796
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,211 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    seabright wrote: »
    Cheques can be recalled at any time, even after they've apparently cleared. You're right, it's a scammer.
    Not on UK cheques any more with the 2-4-6 system - the money is definitely yours on 6th day

http://www.bba.org.uk/bba/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=263&a=367

Agree the OP's situation is very suspicious - no such thing as a 'certified' cheque as far as I know.
  • Not nessacarily a scam, I would say unlikely as they have contacted you before trying to buy the item. Rather than telling you afterwards that they want to pay by cheque. I have had a few payments like this on ebay over the last year and never had a problem. A 'certified cheque' is just proof that you have the said money in your account, they may just be trying to reassure you or may have got their terminology a bit mixed up. Regarding chargebacks on cheques as far as I was aware it was up to 6 days after the cheque had cleared, the exception being if they suspect you of commiting fraud. It is with my bank - I checked a while back. In this case just give them that date as the date they can pick the table up.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,183 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Not nessacarily a scam, I would say unlikely as they have contacted you before trying to buy the item. Rather than telling you afterwards that they want to pay by cheque. I have had a few payments like this on ebay over the last year and never had a problem. A 'certified cheque' is just proof that you have the said money in your account, they may just be trying to reassure you or may have got their terminology a bit mixed up. Regarding chargebacks on cheques as far as I was aware it was up to 6 days after the cheque had cleared, the exception being if they suspect you of commiting fraud. It is with my bank - I checked a while back. In this case just give them that date as the date they can pick the table up.

If you read the other posts you will see that the 2-4-6 cheque clearance covers mainly UK high street banks, you either get the full 2-4-6 protection or you don't, simple as that.

As for a certified cheque it may be a simple language error, but what are you suggesting they actually mean?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • kprigg
    kprigg Posts: 718 Forumite
    If they send a cheque drawn on a UK Bank account that you can safely say the funds are cleared after 6 working days.
    Are they perhaps getting confused with a Bankers Draft by saying its certified maybe? If it were me I would first ask if they wanted to do a bank transfer as this is the easiest way for both sides (you can safely say that the payment will not be withdrawn at any time after the day it hits your bank account - usually 4 working days after they send it).
    If you are not happy about accepting bank transfers then as I said before, a UK cheque should be fine after 6 working days.
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,756 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    skylight wrote: »
    Yep. Your scam alert radar is working well!

Reply along the lines of your bank froze your bank account after they made a big error on a payment from a Nigerian Prince that you were waiting for but it didn't happen because they must have muddled you up with your dead Grandmother (who died in France BTW but you had no insurance and had to bring her back on the roof rack) who lost her handbag in John Lewis and and had all her house contents stolen. Anyway, all this means that your bank account if frozen, you cannot take a cheque and it will have to be cash.

I doubt you'll hear from them again.

Bit of memory loss there - I've helped out;)
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family