Can I Get a Small Loan if I'm on DLA?

Elric
Elric Posts: 39 Forumite
Hi

Me and the wife receive a total of £22,798 in benefits, which is comparable with an average UK wage.

I wondered if anyone knew of any companies who lend money to people on benefits, the ones I've checked out require you to be working.

I'm looking for a loan of £500-£1000. The benefits we receive include: DLA, Carers, IS, Child Tax, Child Benefit, Housing Benefit.

You help is appreciated.

Comments

• Lombard Direct loan to those on DLA - says so in their T & Cs:

http://loans.lombard-direct-services.co.uk/Loan-information/
  • If your receiving benefits, you should try the social fund for a loan. You pay back a pre arranged ammount each week and it's intrest free, worth calling up for a form.
  • colin13
    colin13 Posts: 1,007 Forumite
    DLA is consisdered a garanteed income so a lot of companies will give u a loan based on this but as advice further up said get a loan from the social fund intrest free and they just take it from ur benefits at a pree arranged amount,,IMO this is the better way to go
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    yes. just go to a bank and apply for one.
  • epsilondraconis
    epsilondraconis Posts: 1,758 Forumite
    Elric, check out http://www.entitledto.co.uk/.
  • Elric wrote: »
    Hi

Me and the wife receive a total of £22,798 in benefits, which is comparable with an average UK wage.

I wondered if anyone knew of any companies who lend money to people on benefits, the ones I've checked out require you to be working.

I'm looking for a loan of £500-£1000. The benefits we receive include: DLA, Carers, IS, Child Tax, Child Benefit, Housing Benefit.

You help is appreciated.

Yes, you will be able to get a loan but before you do consider whether or not you really need it. 22k sounds a lot but split down monthly can you afford to pay back a loan?
    Wow, I got 3 *, when did that happen :j:T:p
    It is not illegal to open another persons mail unless you intend to commit fraud - this is frequently incorrectly posted:)
    I live in my head - I find it's safer there:p
  • 4littleone
    4littleone Posts: 223
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Have you considered a credit union? Much better option than a commercial type loan if you are just looking for a small loan and have a low income.

There is a very good article on here about them, i am rubbish at links but if you do a search under credit union it will come up.

By the way, 22k in benefitsis not high, you have to consider that the family are receiving Disability Living Allowance. The costs of being disabled are massive and even DLA will not cover all of a disabled persons needs. For example, respite care is hugely expensive, as is equipment such as lifting hoists for help with bathing, getting out of bed and so on.
    Some familes will have to have a car because of mobility issues, it all adds up. In real terms, a family who is receiving 22k a yr in benefits because one or more in that family are disabled will actually be living on a very small amount of money.
    Total debt at LB Moment (Nov 2007) = £6583 £4649 20.03.09
    £5060 Black horse Loan - £4114 as of 20.03.09
    £940 o/d with hsbc - -£535 as of 20.03.09
  • I'm not sure if people are aware that if your on DLA, you still have to pay rent, Council tax and you get No Help with your fee's like Dr's Dentis or glasses. Everyone i know thats on Job seekers, get all that paid and could work, just they dont want to work, but i want to work but can't due to my illnesses. I too cant get a loan even if i want to due to some banks changing there policy to N:mad: DLA got to be in Full time work.
    Elric wrote: »
    Hi

You help is appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport