PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

July 2009 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Ok went over budget for this month :o but it was my first attempt so not too bad I think about £130 instead of £100.

New challenge for August is £100. Gonna pay for my weekly veg bag in advance and make use of the mail coupons plus moc's this week - so recon I can do it.

Off to get all my household stuff for the month - should be £7 worth for £1 - :rotfl: a great start I think.
  • I lost track a little at the end of the month, so I'm declaring at an optimistic £185 for July.

Please could you set me £200 for August as I am stockpiling a few bits for when I'm on Mat Leave, and hopefully this is realistic enough to stick to. I've picked up the Tesco vouchers in the Mail yesterday (wombled copy at work), so that should help a bit too.

Many Thanks- GISI x
    :DYummy mummy, runner, baker and procrastinator :p
  • An excellent start - £7.15 worth of household stuff for £1.05. Thank you coupons.

I am determined to stick to my budget this month - surely its not that hard :rotfl:
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,618 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Been out for a walk.

Popped into C00p to check Whoopsies, but nothing decent there.

Decided to wander over to Mr M and see if I could locate their clearance section(s). They've only been open 2 weeks, and my previous three visits hadn't turned up anywhere obvious for the Whoopsies to appear :(

But I found them today :T The meat was still horribly expensive though :( Nothing doing in the damaged packages/bent tins for us either. But I managed to spend £1.09 on £2.29 worth of goods from the bakery section, so not an NSD for me ;)

Picked up 3 packs of Cinammon and Raisin muffins and 1 pack of Cheese muffins for me (down to 25p/pack, instead of 72p each or 2 for £1), and a pack of their basics scotch pancakes for DS (6 in pack for 9p instead of 29p) as he's discovered a liking for these under ice-cream :eek:

Now 84% of the way through the month and 55% of the way through my budget, with 14 NSDs under my belt. Would love to get 2 more NSDs this month to beat my personal best this year of 15, but already know I'm shopping on Friday which means I need to miss 2 of the next 4 days......... Shouldn't be difficult, but I'm not counting on managing it :o
    Cheryl
  • DizzyK_2
    DizzyK_2 Posts: 89 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We popped to Aldi this morning after taking the kids swimming. Got some bread, nectarines, grapes, tomatoes, peppers and a tin of syrup as I had one on my tesco shop that's arriving later in the week and this was about 30p cheaper! So £4.61 but as I have save the change on my bank account, it will round it up and bung the rest in my savings account so I've called it a fiver. Normally I use my tesco credit card for even more lovely clubcard points on my grocery shop.

I've got an online shop booked for Weds evening (£3.50 delivery only about 20p more than driving to nearest useful sized tesco) and that looks like it's going to be about £75 but I've got some bits on there to try a recipe for raspberry cheesecake brownies. Very indulgent but my friend is coming to see me who I haven't seen in over a year so what the heck!!
    :eek:
  • Baileys_Babe
    Baileys_Babe Posts: 5,574 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hello (looks around shyly) seemed to have lost the plot recently. I failed to keep track of our grocery spends 2 months in a row (have kept the receipts). Will try very hard to keep on top of this in August.

Off to stock take cupboards, fridge & freezers and to work out a meal plan for as much of August as possible.

Must try harder. Augusts budget £310
    Fashion on a ration 2024 66/66 coupons remaining
    80 coupons rolled over 0/80 coupons spent - using for secondhand purchases

One
     income, home educating family 
  • kayjay1809
    kayjay1809 Posts: 200 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We've got completely off track the last couple of months but are back on track for August with a budget of £300 for the month. I'm giving my car up for financial reasons at the end of July, so am going to be experimenting with a monthly shop for essentials and stockpiling in a cupboard followed by weekly top-ups at the local market
    2018 - The Year I Will Declutter!
  • lollyfin
    lollyfin Posts: 299 Forumite
    Hi all,
    I am a long time lurker on these threads (posted just a little)and you have all helped me so much already, thank you for that, but I need some more help now please.
    My OH is changing from fortnightly to monthly paid, so his last pay on Sept 25th has to last us until the 30th of Oct, 5 weeks :eek:. So to make sure we can pay the bills and eat in October I am trying to put some money away and the only way I can do this is to cut our food budget.I usually spend 400 a month on food , cleaning stuff, toiletries and pet stuff ,there are 6 of us,2 dogs and a hamster,its a lot of money I know. This month I am trying to spend 150 which is still a lot I know and I know many of you manage on less than this and this is why I am asking you all for help.
    I have spent the last couple of weeks going through meal plans and recipes and have made up a menu for the month which I think is doable and everyone will eat (at least some of it) and I have put in an order online at Mr T's, to stop me impulse spending with my little budget, that comes to 102.34 so I will have 47.66 left over for fruit and any essentials we run out of. I am going to be using up stuff in my freezer and cupboards as well so next month will have to be really inventive to eat for the same money.
    I really need support from people to get me through the times I just want to go shove it and go to Tesco and spend money on rubbish. oh and any other cheapy recipes please, please share.
    Thank you all in advance I know I won't be able to do it alone and if I let OH, DD1(18),DD2(14),DS1(10) and DD4(10) know what is happening they will spend the next two months moaning and refusing to eat.

Hugs
    Lollyfin
    konMarie and fabbing all the way
    Weight loss challenge starting 11st loss in November 4lb
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    lollyfin wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I am a long time lurker on these threads (posted just a little)and you have all helped me so much already, thank you for that, but I need some more help now please.
    My OH is changing from fortnightly to monthly paid, so his last pay on Sept 25th has to last us until the 30th of Oct, 5 weeks :eek:. So to make sure we can pay the bills and eat in October I am trying to put some money away and the only way I can do this is to cut our food budget.I usually spend 400 a month on food , cleaning stuff, toiletries and pet stuff ,there are 6 of us,2 dogs and a hamster,its a lot of money I know. This month I am trying to spend 150 which is still a lot I know and I know many of you manage on less than this and this is why I am asking you all for help.
    I have spent the last couple of weeks going through meal plans and recipes and have made up a menu for the month which I think is doable and everyone will eat (at least some of it) and I have put in an order online at Mr T's, to stop me impulse spending with my little budget, that comes to 102.34 so I will have 47.66 left over for fruit and any essentials we run out of. I am going to be using up stuff in my freezer and cupboards as well so next month will have to be really inventive to eat for the same money.
    I really need support from people to get me through the times I just want to go shove it and go to Tesco and spend money on rubbish. oh and any other cheapy recipes please, please share.
    Thank you all in advance I know I won't be able to do it alone and if I let OH, DD1(18),DD2(14),DS1(10) and DD4(10) know what is happening they will spend the next two months moaning and refusing to eat.

Hugs
    Lollyfin

Looks like you need the Grocery Challenge :D July's thread is here. There are recipes on the front page, and lots of posters keen to encourage you to keep to your budget.

I'll merge this thread later, once you've found your way around.

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • lollyfin
    lollyfin Posts: 299 Forumite
    Thanks Penny
    that will be a great help
    Lollyfin
    konMarie and fabbing all the way
    Weight loss challenge starting 11st loss in November 4lb
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories