Discount Newspaper Subscriptions

I have contributed to a previous thread or two on this subject, but thought I would start a new one to see if anyone has any bargains they can share?

I've been offered the Times at 3.50 a week for 12 weeks and then going onto 6quid a week. (with times plus/access to the websites etc)

Cheapest i've found for the Guardian is £284 for a year (cheaper than the £308 from the Guardian themselves). This is from Unique Magazines Newspaper Subscriptions website.

The Telegraph recently emailed an offer for me to come back to them for £4.20 a week. (i declined). I think the subscription normally is about 6quid a week like the Times now.

I must say I am missing a daily paper, especially as I commute to work by train. But the cost is a little excessive in most cases. And the Metro really doesn't cut the mustard.

Anyone else got any thoughts / experiences of subscribing?

Comments

• dunholme
    dunholme Posts: 33 Forumite
    edited 16 November 2010 at 12:55PM
    I had the same problem and found £6 a week too expensive for what you get. However I've found the new newspaper "i" (slimmed down Independent) at 20p a day a good substitute and it is considerably better than the Metro.
    It also saves all the hassle of trying to find the best subscription deal, and, if I may get on my soap-box, sends a message to the others that they are just too expensive - or perhaps they wouldn't be so expensive if they got rid of their subscriptions department and all those supplements.
  • I've bought the "I" paper a few times. It is ok, though I don't like the short articles.
  • I think the £3.50 a week offer you're talking about is this one: http://www.newspaper-subscriptions.co.uk/magazine/news-current-affairs/newspapers/the-times-&-the-sunday-times-newspaper which is the best I've found as well. (They did one that was a quid a week when they launched but I haven't seen it since)

I agree it would be nice if the Guardian did a monthly offer rather than a full year one!
    If you would be wealthy, think of saving as well as getting.
  • Sadly I don't think the Guardian are interested in subscriptions. Bit of a shame really.
  • I see WHSmiths are giving out a voucher for the Telegraph - £91.40 for 90 days. Can't quite see the benefit really.
  • jaymac_2
    jaymac_2 Posts: 1,740 Forumite
    My OH and I take it in turns to get the Times on the £3.50 offer. We've been doing it all year and the only problem we have is they now send us two copies of the travel magazine.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    copper1982 wrote: »
    Sadly I don't think the Guardian are interested in subscriptions. Bit of a shame really.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/subscriber-direct/welcome-to-subscriber-direct
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • I have a Telegraph subscription which is about to send.

I received a phone call from the Times offering me a subscription at £3.50 per week. Now they tell me it will be £6.00 per week unless I can find a subscription code.

Unforttunately I can't find the email with the code. i can't justify £6.00 per week and may go back to the Telegraph.

Can anyone either give me a code or quote the current rate that the Telegraph are offering.

I must say I find it a bit like train tickets ie different prices for the same product.

All comments welcome
  • The new "i" now offers a subscription package. It is £20 for six months or £35 for the whole year. Advert in today's paper states call 0800 953 3009 and you'll have the pre-paid vouchers by Christmas (the ad was aimed at giving the vouchers as a present).
  • richardw - I think we meant that the Guardian aren't interested in being competitive regarding the price of subscriptions.

moyesy - are you looking for a code for the times? If so if you google Times Ocado offer you can get the 3.50 for 12 weeks if that is what you are looking for?

Interesting that "i" are doing a subscription now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure