Cost to Run Tumble dryer

2»

Comments

• Avoriaz
    Avoriaz Posts: 39,110 Forumite
    Kieran, the cost of running a TD for a few hours a week is negligible compared to the costs of heating a whole flat.

Plus, as Andrew correctly posts above, most if not all of the energy used by a condensing TD heats up the flat anyway so in fact the real cost of running it is fairly close to zero in winter.

This would not be true if it was a vented dryer as then most of the heat disappears outside through the vent.

20C is not necessarily room temperature. Some people consider 16 –18C to be room temperature.

Wear thermals and keep active indoors and you will be fine.:D
  • TescoMum
    TescoMum Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I was just about to ban my tumble dryer after getting my latest leccy bill...after readng this I think I'll look for culprits elsewhere instead!

I wonder what gadgets the kids have left plugged in...?
    TescoMum :-)

Always Ask Yourself...Do I Really Need It?

If Not then Sell It!

Even Better - Don't buy it in the First Place :-)
  • A typical tumble drier would cost about 24p/hour to run. Similar to a typical electric heater.

Increasing your room temperature from 18C to 20C would add about 20% to your annual heating bill. You can estimate your own costs from:

http://www.resurgence.org/energy/heac/index.htm
  • I often come downstairs in the morning (im first up) and the kitchen light is on, lamp in lounge is on, tv is on (not standby, just ON), leccy effect fire will be on, power to the shed will be on...

Then wonders why we have high bills...
  • keelykat
    keelykat Posts: 3,341 Forumite
    Hi, we use a washer drier, and our bill isnt that big for using the drier. I'd look at all the things you use electricity wise as sometimes its easy to forget that certain appliances use up more then you realise. I made the mistake of leaving our hot water switched on all day and night, and ran up a big bill just by doing that! we dont have gas by the way, so dont have the usual boiler. we have to be carefull with our storage heaters too-think ive got it sussed now so that things are running smoothly without getting a huge bill!

keely.

ps-i got a bad problem with damp on our walls after hanging up wet washing-so the tumble drier has been a god send, and now after sorting out the damp and redecorating, weve got no more problems with steamed up windows and damp walls!
    Mommy to Elliot (5) and Lewis (born xmas eve 11!)
  • Resurrecting this thread because I've been scared into stopping using my tumble drier (venting to outside) because of stories of how expensive it is, so went out and bought an airer.. Then yesterday I read in that driers can add up to £48 per year to your fuel bill. Hmmmm - I thought, then that's less than £1 a week for the drier - could be even less for us because there's only DH and I in the house and I only use the drier 3, max 4 hours a week. So - do you think that figure is correct? Because having wet washing around in the bathroom, and the towels less fluffly just doesn't seem worth it despite the scare stories!

Any guidance appreciated.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Impossible to say without knowing a) your drier's power rating b) your electricity cost per kilowatt.
    But typical drier uses 3.5kw, say 10p per kw, so 35p per hour x 4 hours = £1.40 per week or £72.80 p.a. Or on 3 hours a week, 95p a week or £54.60 a year.
    So £48 is probably a bit under.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    As a general reply to the several threads about "How much does it cost to run ....", it's very simple to work out - as mentioned earlier in this thread.

Check your bill for the price per KiloWatt Hour ( KWh). If it's 10p, then it costs 10p to run a 1KW appliance for 1 hour.

Check your appliance for it's energy consumption - this will be either in the instruction manual or on a sticker on the appliance. Just be a bit careful with things like microwaves - you need to check it's consumption ( i.e. INPUT ) rather than it's output rating.

Multiply one by the other. So if your iron is 2.5 KW, that's 2.5 ( consumption ) * 10p ( rate per KWh ) = 25p per hour ( OK, slightly less because it won't be "on" for the whole time, it clicks on and off to maintain the temperature ), but it's near enough. Things like tumble driers and lightbulbs are easy because they're either on or off.

For light bulbs, remember 1 Kw = 1000 watts. So a 100w lightbulb = 0.1 Kw, a 40w bulb = 0.04 Kw. So for instance, a light fitting with 5 * 40w bulbs in it is 5*40 = 200 watts, which is 0.2 KW.

Hope this helps.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport