PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Fixing a broken zip?

Comments

• suziewuzie
    suziewuzie Posts: 727 Forumite
    Thanks. The zip is curved at the top and the bottom zip pull thing does not work - you pull it up but the zip does not 'knit' together. There are some 'repair zip kit' type things on E bay, but I think it's quite a difficult thing to fix yourself. Thanks for trying to help anyway!
    Weight loss - here we go again - watch this space!

US...........And them............
  • Chipps
    Chipps Posts: 1,550
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I remember having a tent zip completely replaced many years ago. It was done by a manufacturer of marquees.
    Try the manufacturer of your tent, if it's local. Or local camping shops. If nothing else they should be able to advise you.
    You said you were at Anglesey, isn't the Gelert tent company not far from there, at Porthmadog (just up the road from Lidl!)
  • fizzel81
    fizzel81 Posts: 1,623 Forumite
    Sorry not been around much this weekend, making full use of my boys being with there dad i decided to take the sofa and all its cushions.

well ive broken the metal part off one of the cushion zips
    is there an easy way to fix this or will i need a whole new zip? (which i will then need to take cushion to get fixed)

thank you
    Fiona
    DFW nerd club number 039 :p 'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts' :money: i will be debt free aug 2010

2008 live on 4k +cb £6,247.98/£6282.80 :T
    sealed pot 2670g
    2009 target £4k + cb £643.89:eek: /£6412.80
  • Hi, Which piece of the metal have you broken? is it the small grippy bit that you hold to close or open the zip, or is it the zip its self, that has broken?
    Just need a bit more information please.
    20p savers club
    before joining had nothing
    joined on 19/03
    now have £40.00 saved :j :j :j
    saving to pay off debts Debts now paid off. Yeah.
    Amazon sellers club member 31
  • fizzel81
    its the little metel bit, its come off the zip itself
    DFW nerd club number 039 :p 'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts' :money: i will be debt free aug 2010

sealed pot 2670g
  • whatatwit
    whatatwit Posts: 5,424 Forumite
    Fizzel, if the slidey bit is still intact, I thread on a ring (from a keyring).
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 203.
  • Hi, Can you close the zip its self? If the whole of the metal sliding bit has come away from the zip its self, you may have to take the zip out completely and then try to put the sliding metal thing back on, then sew the zip back on the cushion, if however its only the bit that you hold onto to either open or close the zip, try using a paper clip, that should work. Another thing that you could do if your not to good on sewing is to use velcro, sew two pieces of velcro on either sides of the cushions to keep the cushion closed instead of using a zip. Hope that you can make some sense of my ramblings.
    20p savers club
    joined on 19/03
  • fizzel81
    sorry i didnt make muself clear, the whole metal part has come off, it came unstitched on the ends not noticeing (will teach me for not looking) i zipped up zipped too much and it came flying off the ends

sealed pot 2670g
  • Ok, i now know what your up against. You will have to unpick both sides of the zip at the top end, where the zip should be closed, had the metal thing not shot off. I will however have to come back to you in the morning, as i want to be more awake and have had a look at one of my sewing books, just to make sure that i don't give you any duff information. so if thats ok with you, i will be back in the morning, however some one else might be more awake tonight to help you now. demented
    20p savers club
    joined on 19/03
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport