Benefits for 17 year old???

Options

Comments

• new_leaf_6
    Options
    If he's willing to take a job at this time of year couldn't he get one, even a temporary Christmas one to tide him over till he got something else? If he just doesn't want to work, I wouldn't encourage him as a parent by pointing him down the benefits route.
    "Life's too short to stuff a mushroom" - Shirley Conran...she wasn't an Old Styler then, was she? :rotfl:
  • nickmack
    nickmack Posts: 4,435 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    davmail wrote:
    Hi,my son left school at 16,has not claimed ANY benefits as we were told we have to support him until he is 18,he has been looking for jobs,but nothing coming his way,can he claim ANY benefit,or does he have to wait until 18???Any advice would be great.

If you're having problems financially while he's still at home, and he's fit and able, he should go and get a job. Benefits are for people who really need them and from what you've said the only thing he needs is to get off his backside.
  • Idiophreak
    Idiophreak Posts: 12,024 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Without having a go, is there actually any good reason that he couldn't get a job as others have suggested?
  • loopy_lass
    loopy_lass Posts: 1,551 Forumite
    Options
    without prejudice

2 ways of doing this, tell the benefits he has to leave the household due to you not being able to support him, he will get housing benefit etc. at least he will learn how to look after himself with your support ... i.e. doing his washing and some meals, and theres nothing to stop him spending time at home before going back to his own place each night.

Or

enroll him in college, keeps him off the street, gets him a qualification and youll get some cash to support him.

hth loops
    THE CHAINS OF HABIT ARE TOO WEAK TO BE FELT UNTIL THEY ARE TOO STRONG TO BE BROKEN... :A
  • Gemmzie
    Gemmzie Posts: 14,876 Forumite
    Options
    loopy_lass wrote:
    without prejudice

2 ways of doing this, tell the benefits he has to leave the household due to you not being able to support him, he will get housing benefit etc. at least he will learn how to look after himself with your support ... i.e. doing his washing and some meals, and theres nothing to stop him spending time at home before going back to his own place each night.

Or

enroll him in college, keeps him off the street, gets him a qualification and youll get some cash to support him.

hth loops

Not strictly true, there are very different rules for 16 and 17 year old young people. It's a very complicated system.
    No longer using this account for new posts from 2013
  • iaintwoeyes
    Options
    if he'd gone to college he'd get £30 a week- as he didn't, i think its a job or nothing

I'll think you'll find it's up to £30 and its means tested
  • iaintwoeyes
    Options
    real1314 wrote:
    JSA is not usually paid to under 18s unless they are estranged from their parents. He should contact Connexions who may be able to help him look for suitable work/training.

JSA is never paid to under 18's

If the 16-18 year old has left home they may be entitled to some income support
  • RayWolfe
    RayWolfe Posts: 3,045 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    jowmonty wrote:
    My son has sent a claim off for income support but they do want to know what money is coming into the household (he's 17). Your wages for instance. Am waiting to hear. Like yourself I'm supporting him at the moment and two other children 14 and 8, am also a single parent after 15 years of marrriage and am only able to work at the moment limited hours due to no childcare for the youngest.
    Strange contradictions here. You can't work for lack of childcare but you have to support him! What about him being the childcare whilst you work.
    I bet that would scare him into finding a job.
    Ray
    Not judgmental; just curious.
  • Gemmzie
    Gemmzie Posts: 14,876 Forumite
    Options
    JSA is never paid to under 18's

If the 16-18 year old has left home they may be entitled to some income support

That's not true.

JSA Severe Hardship is available for 16 - 17 year olds in certain circumstances, during the CBEP
    No longer using this account for new posts from 2013
  • niceguyed
    Options
    Gemmzie wrote:
    That's not true.

JSA Severe Hardship is available for 16 - 17 year olds in certain circumstances, during the CBEP

That's only half accurate (if there is such a thing!!). JSA severe hardship is payable OUTSIDE the 20 wk Child Benefit Extension period. The JSA that can be paid during the CBEP is the JSA pescribed group (if they are extranged and living independently).

btw - no chance of Income Support as the son is a job seeker. IS only available to under 18s if they live away from home and are in FT education.

Davmail - Your son has chosen not to go to college (this education is free plus EMA if you're entitled) which of course is his choice, but why should taxpayers be expected to fund that choice? I agree that he should go to Connexions.

Also very difficult for a 17 year old to live independently, lots of hoops to go through (as you can't get a tenancy under 18).

Getting under 18s on benefits only encourages them to sit on their bottom IMO.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure