PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Mouldy shower curtain

Options
chaliepud
chaliepud Posts: 401 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 5 March 2013 at 2:12PM in Old style MoneySaving
What is the best way to get mould/mildew off a shower curtain? Washing in the machine isn't working, I don't want to replace as the design that matches everything else has been disc.

Thanks

H

[FONT=&quot]
[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner][/FONT]

Comments

• Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Try soaking it in the bath with some bio washing powder. Leave it as long as you can. If any bits of mould are trapped in the hems and seams, you can scrub at them with a nail brush or old toothbrush.

If you do want to put it in the machine (after doing the above) then put a towel in with it. The towel will help to agitate the dirt off. Don't forget vinegar in the final rinse too. This will help deodourise it and kill any bugs/mould spores etc.

HTH
    TM
  • thirty_dancing
    Options
    I used a product called Astonish Mould & Mildew Remover (cost a pound from my local cheapie shop). It rescued my shower curtain (which was revolting) and cleaned up my grouting which had become discoloured as DD loves to dye her hair.

It took about two weeks for my shower curtain to transform from truly disgusting to looking brand new and now I just have to spray once a week.

Hope this helps.
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    I 2nd Ticklemouse's method using bio wash powder.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Mumstheword
    Mumstheword Posts: 3,760 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I use dettox mould & mildew, in the green bottle, for the shower. Two uses brought my tiles, grout, base up like new.
    Don't know how well it will do on fabric - you'd have to do a test in a hidden area!
    Don't know how well it will do in my shower any more as I've just discovered DH has used it to clean the kitchen floor. hmph!!
    *** Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly ***

If I don't reply to you, I haven't looked back at the thread.....PM me :)
  • RachelD
    RachelD Posts: 217 Forumite
    Options
    I reckon I have tried most things to get rid of mould on shower curtains and nothing works for long - mostly because rest of family refuse to clean said curtain.

I bought some pretty voile, sewed it the same length and width as a shower curtain. Bought some plain PVC shower curtain (Asda currently have white at 89p and Wilko has them in cream at £2.75 or thereabouts). I then tack the voile and PVC curtain together - you can use the tacking stitch on your nachine. Hand tacking is OK - it just has to easy to remove . Then hang as usual. When inner curtain becomes grotty, I just untack, wash the voile and re- tack a new inner curtain.

In true OS fashion I do wash all these discarded PVC curtains and use them as floor protection when painting.

Rachel
    if i had known then what i know now
  • chickadee
    chickadee Posts: 1,447 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sometimes it is just the bottom hem that is discoloured. If all other attempts to remove the satin fail, just trim the curtain so it is a bit shorter, say an inch or so and re-hem it. I tried this on mine and it came up like new. I had to lower the rail a bit though, but as mine is just a spring-loaded rail this was no problem!
    Sealed Pot Challenge #8 £341.90
    Sealed Pot Challenge #9 £162.98
    Sealed Pot Challenge #10 £33.10
    Sealed Pot Challenge #11 Member #36
  • idiot_3
    idiot_3 Posts: 136 Forumite
    Options
    mix a weak solution of bleach and water. spray it on, then wipe off. nothing kills mould like bleach.
  • Grumpysally
    Grumpysally Posts: 790 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm sure there is information about this on the forum but I keep being distracted by organic hair dye and chocolate beetroot muffins and such like.
    I need to get rid of the mildew build up on the bottom of my fabric shower curtains. Ive tried washing them and spraying them with bleach solution but to no avail.
    Thanks
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Mine usually cleans up well if I wash it with a couple of capfuls of bleach.

The best way is to keep on top of it before it gets really bad. Also leave the curtain drawn out so that it dries well - something my OH cannot get his head round at all:confused:
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Alison,

We have an older thread on the same subject, so I have merged yours with it so that we can keep all the suggestions together. As always posts are listed in date order so you'll need to read from the beginning to see all the replies.

Pink
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport