DLA - Can i claim?

EnglandBorn83
EnglandBorn83 Posts: 3 Newbie
edited 5 April 2013 at 3:38PM in Benefits & tax credits
Ive been told i can claim dla, i have a pyschology test done and results showed Borderline Disability...Im currently on esa due to alot of things that have happened in the last few months so cannot work/cope at mo x

Comments

• Bryando
    Bryando Posts: 1,464 Forumite
    edited 5 April 2013 at 3:39PM
    Depends on if you have care needs. How does the disorder affect you?
  • this is part of my test reults....
    Results on the WAIS-lll uk subtests (FSIQ 75) indicate that, she functions at the middle of the borderline disability range (70-80). This result was composed of Low Average ranges scores in all sub domains except for her WMI which fell at 66 fell in the Mild Disability range (60-70), this possible indicates damage to her frontal lobe has affected her already low function sufficiently so she fared even less well. This would have particularly affected her ability to plan ahead, make decisions and follow them effectively. Such difficu;ty may also explain her reported tendency to allow others to run her life for her.
  • Bryando
    Bryando Posts: 1,464 Forumite
    From what I can mind ,a Psychologist does not diagnose, that is a job for the Psychiatrist. Have you a Psychiatrist or Community Psychiatric Nurse (CPN)?

Might be a good idea to get the DLA claim form, think you can access it online and have a look. It will show you the kind of things they are looking at.
  • No im under my doctor at mo just for some stress/depression, but dont wanna take tablets cos i wanna go back to work...ive tried em and they made me worse so im now just doing counselling...thanks ill ave a look at that
  • Speaking as someone with a neurological illness, I know it was a struggle for me to be awarded dla. So you need as much evidence fom cpn/doc or consultant as you can

My brother suffers severe depression and has suicidal tendencies, he is under the care of a psychiatrist and has been turned down for dla twice and once at appeal. I always feel they don't judge mental illness fairly at all.

Best of luck
    Its all mind over matter. I don't mind and you don't matter:rotfl:
  • lukieboy96
    lukieboy96 Posts: 666 Forumite
    It depends on how you are affected.

I was diagnosed with Emotionally Unstable PD, new name for BPD.

It depends on how you are affected. I have had serious overdosing, self harm and ended up in Psych hospital under a section 2 and many police 136 sections.
  • tomtom256
    tomtom256 Posts: 2,216 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Can I just ask, what is a borderline disability?

Your either disabled or not, there isn't really an inbetween.
  • lukieboy96
    lukieboy96 Posts: 666 Forumite
    tomtom256 wrote: »

BPD is hard to explain to be honest. What they say is that you are unable to deal with your emotions, there is no grey area it is either black or white. People resort to negative behaviour patterns. I have been arrested, police sectioned and Section 2 because of my behaviour. Unless you have it, it is hard to explain. I am unable to leave the house for 2 or 3 days.

I am under a psychiatrist and have a CPN
  • rogerblack
    rogerblack Posts: 9,446 Forumite
    tomtom256 wrote: »

That seems a truly astounding statement.
    Take walking ability for example.
    This can vary from 0 to (say) 50km without a rest, or undergoing severe discomfort.

Discounting other factors, you would have to pick one figure at which a person is 'disabled'.
    Current practice with DLA leans towards around 30-50m, though this varies a lot.
    Clearly, 1m is 'disabled' - under nearly any conditions - but 40m might be 'borderline' - and depend on the exact conditions of the assessment, and the legal framework.

Truly binary disabilities are rare, and even where they seem to exist 'no light perception in either eye' - the functional difference between someone meeting the strict letter of that test, and someone who can see a faint glimmer, when they look at the sun isn't really meaningful.
  • Wheekypigs
    Wheekypigs Posts: 23 Forumite
    lukieboy96 wrote: »
    BPD is hard to explain to be honest. What they say is that you are unable to deal with your emotions, there is no grey area it is either black or white. People resort to negative behaviour patterns. I have been arrested, police sectioned and Section 2 because of my behaviour. Unless you have it, it is hard to explain. I am unable to leave the house for 2 or 3 days.

I am under a psychiatrist and have a CPN

I don't think she's referring to Borderline Personality Disorder. The WAIS test is a measure of intelligence so I think "borderline" in this case is referring to the WAIS descriptor (Extremely Low, Borderline, Low Average, Average, High Average, Superior, and Very Superior).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure