Funding to take a CSCS card test

Comments

• SueC_2
    SueC_2 Posts: 1,673
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    The revision books are currently available from Amazon at £5.89, which is a lot cheaper than I've been able to find them anywhere else, including the CITB website.

£17.50 for the test, plus the £5.89, should see your brother in law clear. Total £23.39 - a bit better than what you first thought, and possibly more do-able if he's asking the JobCentre for a discretionary grant.

That said, to be honest, many of the questions are fairly common sense. If he has construction experience he could well be able to pass the touchscreen test without even bothering with the book.
  • SueC wrote: »
    The revision books are currently available from Amazon at £5.89, which is a lot cheaper than I've been able to find them anywhere else, including the CITB website.

£17.50 for the test, plus the £5.89, should see your brother in law clear. Total £23.39 - a bit better than what you first thought, and possibly more do-able if he's asking the JobCentre for a discretionary grant.

That said, to be honest, many of the questions are fairly common sense. If he has construction experience he could well be able to pass the touchscreen test without even bothering with the book.

Other than the colour banding of fire extinguishers & what fires each are used for it is pretty much common sense.
    Not Again
  • In my local area the CSCS card is offered by the Jobcentre via a provider under the Rapid Response to Redundancy programme, with no charge to the jobseeker. It depends how long your brother in law has been registered as unemployed but it is definitely worth asking about this. The only downside is that there is a month waiting list and that if they accept you on to the course, you first have to complete 15 hours of what is called 'guided' help-cvs, interviewing techniques etc. However, our local provider allows you to complete these hours as soon as you like and you can have done the 15 hours and taken the test within about two weeks. I would get him to ask at the JCP as soon as possible.
  • Mr_Oink
    Mr_Oink Posts: 1,012 Forumite
    I did see a CSCS mobile testing unit at Wickes in Farnborough a few weeks ago but they were charging more than that for it.
    {start rant}
    What is ironic is if you are sent to prison you will get the chance to train for GAS SAFE, CSCS or CCNA (and a host of other courses) all of which are mostly useless given the 'ex con' will usually be CRB checked to work in many fields and fail. It would make *more* sense to spend this money on training people on JSA who stood some chance of working!

Having had a family member go through it (and the long JSA loop) I can sympathise with how poor the help is. There are jobs out there for skilled people, but nobody wants to give / train for the skills needed - or fund it so out of work people can get meaningful work.{end rant}
  • Does anyone know if there is any funding available for the cpcs cards? My partner has passed the cscs card but is an experienced dumper driver and cannot get work with his dumper ticket as it isn't recognised anymore. He has enquired about getting a cpcs card and the cost would be about £600.....................how we are expected to pay this when he is out of work is beyond me!! I cannot understand the thought behind this government initiative when there are so many experienced people out of work who are simply not in a position to be able to afford to re sit tests that they have already taken (under another title).
  • kwaka750
    kwaka750 Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 3 August 2010 at 10:06AM
    i am 46 years old and drove dumppers and 180 / 360 diggers since leaving school. i have cards for these but they are in house cards so you dont leave a company.
    i was made redundant and now all jobs i find want me to have a cpcs card. how can i get this when i have been on job seekers allowance for the past 3 months. i just dont have the money but cant get a job without the cpcs card. just stuck in a catch 22 situation.
    any advice???
    martin (hull, east yorkshire)
  • The Job Centre paid for my other half to get his CSCS card. They will do it. He's a roofer/building labourer and having been working for donkey's he never had one and when he got made redundant after being on JSA they agreed to do it as it would help him gain employment. He also got his Fork Lift licenses through the JC as there were a lot of Fork Lift vacancies but he didn't have the licenses so he asked if they'd pay for the courses and they agreed. He now has a brilliant job that he loves in warehousing. You shouldn't have any trouble as there are a lot of 360 jobs around at the moment and it'll enable you to apply for these vacancies. You just need to keep on at them.
    ;);) Better to say nothing and look a fool than to speak and remove all doubt :D:D
  • thanks i will keep on at them
  • Didn't have time to read through all the replies properly so forgive me if this has been already posted. Some providers of the CSCS test will accept an ILA (Individual Learning Account) as payment. It is a question of contacting test centres that are fairly near you. Takes a few weeks to get the ILA approved but is worth it if you are financially challenged.
  • diggerman123
    diggerman123 Posts: 367
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 3 August 2010 at 5:53PM
    there is no current funding available for cpcs tickets . A cpcs dumper ticket ( experienced operator ) is relatively cheap , £200 ish and only takes 1 day . current dumper driver rates are around £10 per hour so it is worth the investment. dont want to put company names on here , so go to the cpcs website and there is a training locator that will provide you with local ones. if in the east riding of yorkshire , pm me and i will give you details of a couple

good luck

diggerman

oh forgot to say , it is all tax deductable at the end of the tax year too
    we all have bad days , some more than others ..................
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure