PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

London Up and Coming Areas to Buy a Property

Comments

• vivster
    vivster Posts: 75 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I was going to say Crystal Palace as well.

Depends where you want to be, how far out etc. I've been living in Tufnell Park/Archway for the past 6 months, which is v nice, although I wouldn't say villagey, particularly. Close to Hampstead Heath. One beds probably start at about £250k round here.

As for 'safe', some friends of mine were robbed at knifepoint in Holland Park. I lived in Seven Sisters for years and never had a problem.
  • BitterAndTwisted
    BitterAndTwisted Posts: 22,492 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Hint to newbies to London: never saunter about the posher parts looking half-decently dressed and as if you belong around there. You could be mistaken for a wealthy local.

I live not far from Seven Sisters and was mugged at knife-point yards from my front-door by crack-heads a while back. The only time in thirty years of living round here that anything like that had ever happened to me. Bad luck and bad timing. It could have happened at any time and pretty much anywhere here.
  • hethmar
    hethmar Posts: 10,678 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    edited 13 June 2012 at 8:45PM
    Woolwich has some lovely buildings (Royal Borough of Greenwich). It is also an olympic venue so a LOT of money is being spent on what was a very run down area. You have a new DLT, river buses, main line trains and comprehensive bus services.

New town squares are being built, there is an ancient market there and coffee shops have moved in on the high street. The development of the Royal Arsenal and the old military college and hospital have proved very popular. Currently hotel chains are also building in the area. New theatre venue also being built. Oh and the Kings horse artillery has just moved to the area from north london, so more kudos for the area.

Got to be worth a punt.
  • Biddy
    Biddy Posts: 8 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I would highly recommend Crystal Palace. It has great transport links and lots of fantastic restaurants, cafes and pubs. Plus there is the wonderful park and a great community
  • DizzyDasher
    DizzyDasher Posts: 119 Forumite
    The only time I've ever been mugged in London was on Fulham Broadway: early evening, full of people. So I agree it can happen anywhere! There are some good suggestions on this thread. SE and NE will tend to be best value for money, depending on where you want to commute in to, as has been said.
  • lizards
    lizards Posts: 244 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 16 June 2012 at 12:18PM
    I'd second Woolwich actually - particularly the Royal Arsenal bit. River views from some flats for starters. You can get the boat to work from your doorstep, or the DLR (plus there are plenty of mainline trains) The local area is a bit industrial but there are fabulous walks along the river. You're also not far from a lot of lovely woodlands.

There is also a LOT of investment in Woolwich right now, including a mega Tesco due to open in November, and a load of new shops, not to mention the work already done on the main square etc. Crossrail is arriving in a few years as well.

Sure, it has some rough parts, but that's true of anywhere in London. You don't have to go in them.

Crystal Palace is nice too.
  • Loubee_2
    Loubee_2 Posts: 327 Forumite
    another vote for Crystal Palace- have lived here for 5 years and am very very fond of it.
  • Out,_Vile_Jelly
    Out,_Vile_Jelly Posts: 4,842 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    The phrase "up and coming" does make me chuckle; the whole of London cannot up and come- the scum still have to live somewhere! If you get the Standard (now free, but from the same stable as the Daily Mail) on a Wednesday it will have a Property section; full of breezy articles declaring which syringe-strewn, hoody-heaving hellhole is now emerging as a vibrant, buzzing hotspot popular with young professionals.

You have a respectable budget; relax, investigate carefully, listen to recommendations from colleagues and remember that "good transport" means overland, bus and cycle routes as well as The Tube. And don't use Foxtons.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
  • jdonice
    jdonice Posts: 8 Forumite
    I have lived in London 10 years 7 of which in a flat I bought in Shadwell. Its not or ever will be up and coming but it does have excellent transport links and close to the river, city and every major transport route.

Saying that I think people have to stop thinking of buying their home as something that will be in an area that is Up and Coming = Massive return on investment, in a couple of years.. and start choosing somewhere they want to live their life.. so where are your friends,jobs, places you like to visit..etc.

I was also ignoring near the olympic area and then I took a look around and found some good 2 bed flats for less than 250. Check Bow.
    There is a lot of property there and that I think is having a levelling effect on the price.. But also it has a lot of transport investment..and no matter what happens to the venues after, the infrastructure is in place(which was not there before hand) and Stratford will not become some empty hole where no one lives..
    Close to Canary wharf, links to EuroStar, Links to Dover and CrossRail..?

But I guess it comes down to what you think is worth the money.

I Second the notion on Foxtons, stay clear of them.
  • transient
    transient Posts: 528 Forumite
    Hint to newbies to London: never saunter about the posher parts looking half-decently dressed and as if you belong around there. You could be mistaken for a wealthy local.

I live not far from Seven Sisters and was mugged at knife-point yards from my front-door by crack-heads a while back. The only time in thirty years of living round here that anything like that had ever happened to me. Bad luck and bad timing. It could have happened at any time and pretty much anywhere here.
    What a stupid statement. Crackheads are everywhere, cor there are some who who I have worked in the City with who hold down decent city jobs.

If you were mugged by a crackhead as you put it who was high then what you were weearing would have no bearing on what you were wearing to mug you
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure