Do they DWP have access to my accounts?

Comments

• robpw2
    robpw2 Posts: 14,044
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Have you made that up lovey? If not, can you be more specific on the law that you mean? :p
    im guessing as everyone in the country i not entitled to housing benefit they made it up on the spot lol

Slimming world start 28/01/2012 starting weight 21st 2.5lb current weight 17st 9-total loss 3st 7.5lb
    Slimmer of the month February , March ,April
  • redz
    redz Posts: 212 Forumite
    NickyBat wrote: »
    Hammy is correct.

Not quite.

The DWP have a data matching dept. called the General Matching Service, they obtain details of all accounts held by customers and match them to the details declared on the claim. They match details such as name, address contact number etc.However, because of Data protection laws they cannot obtain details of the amount held in each account without a court order. If there is a discrepancy with the number of accounts held, as in this case, you will be called to interview as the OP has.

If the total amount of savings held is below the disregard level then it is not fraud as there is no change in entitlement and will not be treated as such. However, if the savings are over the disregarded amount then there is a distinct possibility of the case being treated as fraudulent.
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    kentguy07 wrote: »
    What they dont tell you it does not matter if you have savings or not they are still legally bound to give people housing benefits regardless under the law "think its either European law or the universal declaration of human rights act 1948.

I'll have some of what you're on!
  • kentguy07
    kentguy07 Posts: 270 Forumite
    edited 26 July 2011 at 5:11PM
    I'll have some of what you're on!

I apologise

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_to_housing
    :A
  • Molly41
    Molly41 Posts: 4,919
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Yes they do have access to all your accounts via credit agencies.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. When it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    When the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
  • redz
    redz Posts: 212 Forumite

That's right to housing not right to housing benefit. Someone who has sufficient capital to pay their own rent isn't having their right to housing impinged by not being able to recieve housing benefit.
  • Nyfle
    Nyfle Posts: 39 Forumite
    Molly41 wrote: »
    Yes they do have access to all your accounts via credit agencies.

Credit score or account balance/transaction history? I wasn't aware credit agencies had the latter available to them... ;)
    The Benefits & Tax Credits Board aka The Welfare & Judgement Board
  • ceecee1
    ceecee1 Posts: 409 Forumite

Hmm - the right to Housing.....not the right to Housing Benefit.

An earlier poster was almost correct - Yes the DWP and HMRC data match bank accounts with benefit claims.

The DWP then have a right to demand from the bank (without a court order) under the Social Security Act copies of all bank statements and details of any payments made into those accounts
  • I believe the DWP don't have access to your bank accounts but they do have access to the amount of interest that is paid out to you in all your accounts, just like HMRC.

So if they've called you in for interview under caution, they've found out you've been paid interest that could indicate you have more than the statutory amount in those accounts.

So tell us - how much do you have in the undeclared accounts?
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • sandraroffey
    sandraroffey Posts: 1,358 Forumite
    oh dear oh dear oh dear. think they dont want to say!!!!!

doesnt all this cloak and dagger stuff ALWAYS come back and bite you on the bum?????
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure