PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Smelly Cat Pee Trainers

Hi... please help??!!
DS left his trainers outside the front door. Next door's cat then pee'd on them, and they absolutely stink. I've tried filling them with bicarb and leaving overnight, and they've been washed at least 3 times in biological liquid, but the smell remains.
Does anyone have a miracle I could borrow please? Or should I just bin them??
Thanks in advance! :j
Say what you mean.. mean what you say... without being mean.

Comments

• meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    oh dear - makes you wonder why the cat peed on them in the first place!!!
    fill them with bicarb again tonight and leave them at least 12 hours. empty them out again. and stick the vacuum attachment nozzle in to remove all traces of bicarb. if they still smell a bit then there are a couple of things you could try.
    a couple of drops of essential oil in each trainer - for a bloke I would suggest tea tree or one of the mint ones.
    fill them with pot pourri if you already have some.
    you could try pet odour remover for carpets - but the best ones are quite expensive! or if you have some, then neat alcohol wiped around the inside of the trainer. you can buy it or use a miniature bottle of 100% (or as high as you can get) vodka.
    or - try leaving them in the freezer overnight - but not if they are leather, as the smell is due to bacteria and freezing kills the bacteria. but it would ruin leather!
  • lisa26_2
    lisa26_2 Posts: 2,100 Forumite
    apparently you should never wash trainers with any kind of detergent, it reacts with the glue and makes them stink!
  • kirsty822001
    kirsty822001 Posts: 414 Forumite
    AnnieG wrote: »
    Hi... please help??!!
    DS left his trainers outside the front door. Next door's cat then pee'd on them, and they absolutely stink. I've tried filling them with bicarb and leaving overnight, and they've been washed at least 3 times in biological liquid, but the smell remains.
    Does anyone have a miracle I could borrow please? Or should I just bin them??
    Thanks in advance! :j

Hi did a cat defo pee in them?
    I only ask cos last year my 2 sons NIKE trainers absolutely stunk of cats pee,,anyhow after watching 'watchdog' and googling some info i went back to 'jjb' (this was ages after we bought them and they were worn alot) i took info printed from internet about the nike admission that these trainers were faulty and after a heated discussion the manager spoke to head office and refunded us,,,the fabric used on that particular type of trainers smells like strong cats pee when it gets wet/breaks down through sweaty hot feet.
    I have smelt it on other boys trainers,,kids who visit our house,,and football boots so now we never buy nike just incase!!
    I may be completely wrong but just wanted to let you know incase its the same thing.
    also we dont have cats and never see them in my garden!
    Bicarb in the shoes was pretty good at absorbing the smell but even then i couldnt have them in the house!!
    Life happens when you are busy making other plans ;)

Sealed Pot Member #1149 (£340 saved 2011)
  • AnnieG
    AnnieG Posts: 877 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I didn't see the cat do the business so to speak, so can't be sure, but that's what it smells like. A friend did tell me that boys feet can sometimes smell like that in general though!!
    I'll try the vodka, but think they're destined for the bin to be honest. They're Adidas, not Nike.

Thet aren't leather, but there's no way they're going anywhere near my freezer!!! Maybe I could use them as some sort of burglar repellant??!!

Thanks for your suggestions :0)
    Say what you mean.. mean what you say... without being mean.
  • ubamother
    ubamother Posts: 1,190 Forumite
    My boy had a pair of trainers that did this - no real cat pee involved just the smell came after they were wet and never never went away. He was 6 at the time and was determined to still wear them (they were red and shiny!). Went to a farm and all the piglets loooooved the smell and wouldn't leave his feet alone. He had to be physically lifted out by the farmer in the end because he couldn't get through the piglets. Personally I don't think you're going to win this one!
  • DAGS_2
    DAGS_2 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Leave them soaking in Lynx shower gel & water overnight. Lynx shower gel even gets the stink of fox poo out of our dog's fabric lead - the little beast likes to roll in the stuff!
  • wyebird
    wyebird Posts: 755 Forumite
    Yep Nike trainers and boots smell like this when wet, particularly lovely when you get a whole team's kit to wash and most of them wear Nike boots! :eek:
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    2 bin bags then in the freezer, safe as anything you get from a shop if not safer as you know who has touched the bag.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • jaxx46
    jaxx46 Posts: 613 Forumite
    :D If you have any of those cleaning wipes ie flash try sticking one in each trainer overnight, can't remember where i read it but it works. I tend to wipe the outside of the trainers so they're clean then just stuff with the used wipes, apparently the cleaning agent in the wipes kills off the germs that cause the smell!:cool:

HTH
    Sometimes not moving backwards is as much an achievement as moving forwards is on other times. (originally posted by kidcat)

It's only a bargain if you were going to buy it anyway!
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    AnnieG - lol I wasnt suggesting you stick them in freezer au naturel! shove them in a strong plastic bag or two!!!!

do you use tumble dryer sheets? that was another method i have used with some success. just shove a sheet in each trainer put the pair in a carrier bag and tie the top tightly - leave overnight or as long as poss.
    dont chuck the trainers if they are wearable - try one or two of the methods above first!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure