PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

porridge in the slow cooker

Hi all

just read about how nice porridge tastes in the slow cooker on a breakfast cereal thread, but have no idea how much porridge to put in and how long for. Can anyone help in time for me to prepare for brekkie tomorrow?

Thanks
Pipkin
There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter

Comments

• I've got a feeling that if you boil water, milk or a combination and then just leave it in a thermos flask (if you have one) it should cook itself and keep itself warm without any further power required.

Hope that works - haven't tried it myself!

EDIT - sorry just re-read your thread and realised you were asking a slightly different question. I use one expresso cup worth of porridge, 1 of milk and 1 of water when I cook it (for one person).
    "The Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need, but not every man's greed" - Ghandi
  • melancholly
    melancholly Posts: 7,457 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    so i can put it on low overnight and wake up to a big bowl of porridge?!?! genius! i love it but rarely have time to cook it on weekdays. thank you (for the question and the answer!)
    :happyhear
  • Carrot
    Carrot Posts: 177 Forumite
    Along the same lines - I do porridge overnight in the simmering oven of the Aga.
    1 cup of oats to 1 of skimmed milk and 1 cup of water. Put it in about 11pm and wake up to a lovely breakfast. I presume a slow cooker will do the same.
    Sell £1000 challenge - £0/£1500 - No.80

YNAB - take control of your money :)
  • pipkin71
    pipkin71 Posts: 21,821 Forumite
    Breakfast this morning was fantastic - DD2 was really pleased and asked for more! Sadly, DD1 turned her nose up, as usual, and stuck to her toast, but 1 out of 2 isn't bad I guess. Will definitely be having porridge again tomorrow.

Regards
    Pipkin xxxx
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
  • finc
    finc Posts: 1,095 Forumite
    As a general rule of thumb use 250ml of oats to 750ml of water and 5ml of salt for 3-4 people. Cook on low for 8-9 hours.
    :smileyhea
  • hi,

can anyone tell me how to make porridge in the slow cooker please, have seen it on here but i cannot find it now.
    many thanks.
  • taylorsmum wrote:
    hi,

can anyone tell me how to make porridge in the slow cooker please, have seen it on here but i cannot find it now.
    many thanks.
    Please dont think I am being funny but it only takes 3 mins in the microwave and uses a lot less electricity.
    Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination:beer:

Oscar Wilde
  • Please dont think I am being funny but it only takes 3 mins in the microwave and uses a lot less electricity.

my thoughts exactly!!!
    I have had brain surgery - sorry if I am a little confused sometimes ;)
  • Hi taylorsmum - I don't do porridge, but I expect the others are right (this lot usually are :) ) I just noticed your post count though, and wanted to say 'Welcome' :)
    Eek! Someone's stolen my signature! :eek:
  • taylorsmum
    taylorsmum Posts: 119 Forumite
    hi thanks for your replys,

just thought it would be easier to put it on the night before, ready in the morning no hassle
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure