What does 500mb of data give me?

2»

Comments

• jasonwatkins
    jasonwatkins Posts: 2,420 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    apparently, my 500mb comes with the "orange maps" so I guess you could use that instead of google if you have a compatible phone.

browsing should be fine, as well as emails.

you could theoretically use a web-based messenger service as well i guess.
  • johhn_2
    johhn_2 Posts: 51 Forumite
    is there some extra charge for orange maps ? omnia 2 comes with a different GPS software with stand-alone maps so if I turn off Assisted-GPS I shouldnt be incuring any traffic charge.I used to use tomtom7 on a PAYG HTC windows mobile, never paid for any mobile internet :) , but guess I cant use skype or IM on this orange package,which is a shame.
    I was trying to find out when I can start downgrading my tariff but after reading the orange T/C, I cant find any regarding to a 12m contract as I'm only interested in 12m contracts. I've seen some posts talking about downgrading once every month, they all seemed to be taling about 18-24m contracts ? any1 got any ideas about 12m contract ?
  • Vodafone
    Vodafone Posts: 4,297 Organisation Representative
    basill wrote: »
    I have the HTC Hero on Vodaphone also with a 500Mb (unlimited haha) plan.

To give you an idea of data useage, I have always on internet off to save battery but all apps can connect on demand. With internet use, facebook updates, google mail updating automatically, weather widget and google latitude on for most of the time I used about 250Mb last month. The phone is new so I downloaded lots of apps as well. (Some at home on wifi)
    I don`t download video. So for me 500Mb is OK.

It is wise to use your wifi at home, it will be faster and saves your allowance for when you are out.

There are several apps available to monitor your mobile data use, 3G Watchdog for instance places a tiny green/orange/ red warning icon on the notification bar and monitors daily or monthly allowances to help you stay inside your limit.

B

Hi everyone,

To give you an idea just how much 500MB will give you each month, check out our Data calculator.

If there is anything else, please give me a shout.

Ian
    Web Relations Team
    Vodafone UK
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Vodafone. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • 1jim
    1jim Posts: 2,663 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi
    I will shortly be getting an internet mobile, nokia on vodaphone with 500mb fair usage, if I were to use the ovi maps with gprs on and do 7hr drive to cornwall do you know how much of this I would use?
    thanks
  • Vodafone
    Vodafone Posts: 4,297 Organisation Representative
    Hi 1jim,

If you were to use Ovi Maps for the full 7 hour journey down to Cornwall then you are likely to use an awful lot of data and battery life.

However, don't worry too much as our 500MB limit is a fair usage policy only and if you were to exceed this you will not be charged. Just make sure you take an in-car charger to keep the battery topped up as we don't want you getting lost somewhere near Exeter! ;)

Have a lovely trip!

Espi
    Web Relations Team
    Vodafone UK
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Vodafone. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • ASB1960
    ASB1960 Posts: 30 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    In my experience with Ovi Maps one is much less likely to get lost without it.....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure