Cheapest way to boil a pint of water?????

2»

Comments

• franky
    franky Posts: 641 Forumite
    i do thermos too, and if i boiling veg, i always boil water in kettle first, then pur over veg on hob.
    but would be cheaper to boil in pan for this
    because veg etc would start cooking while water is heating up
  • MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Root veg and things that take a lot of cooking cook quicker by starting them in cold water and letting the pan heat up. Delicate veg that you want to retain the colour of (Broccoli, spinach, fine beans) are better dropped into water already on a rolling boil. HTH
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
    16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    sorry, i should have clarified, i never do root veg (well rarely) on stove top, i tend to oven cook, so what i do boil on top is brocoli, spinach, cauli etc, which is better in hot as math says.

but yes, root veg prob better off in cold water.
  • Woby_Tide
    Woby_Tide Posts: 5,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    unplug your kettle
    go to your neighbours
    say"Oooo my electric seems to have gone off and I'm just waiting for them to come and have a look at whats wrong, you couldn't just boil me a kettle so I can a have a cup of tea while I wait?"
    you cold also maybe add that you ran out of tea bags, milk and sugar and see how far you get

I think thats the cheapest way
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Keep the kettle descaled: the water will boil quicker. And only boil what you need rather than a full kettle each time. And if your hot water comes from a combi boiler rather than a hot water tank you could let the tap water run hot then fill the kettle. But that might get more expensive if your water is metered, especially if your boiler is a long way from the kitchen.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Thinking about it, the cheapest way is probably to build a fire in the garden and buy camping kettle. Or one of these from good old Hawkin!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport