Cod Liver Oil - safe for dogs?

Hi all,

My GSHx has a bit of a dry and 'unglossy' coat, although he is brushed daily and someone suggested squirting a capsule of C.L.O into his food once a day, or even a raw egg.

Good idea/bad idea? I'm presuming it's harmless enough but wanted to get some advice from you guys first, in case the advice from this guy is an old wives tale (he is an old-fashioned sort of chap!)

Thanks for any tips :)

Comments

• Penny_Watcher
    Penny_Watcher Posts: 3,518 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Slightly off topic, but my dogs get a tin of pilchards in tomato sauce between them in their food for the fish oils. Their coats are lovely and glossy and I'd heard that the tomato is meant to help with digestion and wind.

You cannot live as I have lived an not end up like me.

Oi you lot - please :heart:GIVE BLOOD :heart: - you never know when you and yours might need it back! 67 pints so far.
  • JennyW_2
    JennyW_2 Posts: 1,888 Forumite
    yes but not in big doses (my vet told me this - something to do with too much vit e (or d) - cant remember). My dogs each have an omega 3 capusle every morning
  • Rowan9
    Rowan9 Posts: 2,207 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    mine both get a cod liver oil capsule each day.
  • tieg3
    tieg3 Posts: 415 Forumite
    My woofer gets a cod liver oil capsule and an evening primrose capsule a day.
    Clo for her bones
    Ep for her skin and coat

I was recommended this by a vet

hth
    Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach that person to
    use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.:D
  • pboae
    pboae Posts: 2,719 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Another vote for pilchards in tomato sauce. They've got additional minerals and oils in them which help, as well as the pure fish oil. My dog gets a couple of tins a week and you can see the difference in his coat.
    When I had my loft converted back into a loft, the neighbours came around and scoffed, and called me retro.
  • RooBee
    RooBee Posts: 282 Forumite
    CLO is high in Vit A which can be toxic to the liver.

Fish BODY oil is better and a natural source Vit E should be given with the fish oil (but has the added benefit of also being good for the coat)
  • t_r
    t_r Posts: 134 Forumite
    What do you feed your dog with? I bet he would love raw/frozen fish as a treat, and what a difference it will make to his coat.
    My opinions are purely my own act on them at your own risk :think:
  • Agutka
    Agutka Posts: 2,376 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My GSD-ish gets CLO for her hips. Worked wonders - limping one minute, fine the next :T
    :wall:
  • kle87
    kle87 Posts: 411 Forumite
    I give my dogs a teaspoon of cod liver oil over their food as they have muscle problems and stiffen up with ease, we find this helps keep them flexible.
    2010 Wins: Benecol Bag For Life, £150 FCUK Voucher, Rimmel Foundation, L'oreal Mascara, £60 worth of hair products, £100 :j
  • TDA10
    TDA10 Posts: 355 Forumite
    Thanks for all the replies so far - I have started him on 1 CLO every other day, but will definitely get some pilchards or sardines when in Asda tmw.

He's fed on tinned food and mixer, plus a small cup of complete food too (the same as the RSPCA gave him when he was there, prior to me rescuing the hairy beast! :rolleyes: :D)

Might give the EP or Omega 3 a go if this doesn't work too.

Thanks again :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport