Nissan Micra 1.2S brake discs/pads/shoes need replacing - why?

MrShed
MrShed Posts: 114 Forumite
Hi all,

Sorry to waffle and sorry if bits arent directly relevant here - have posted same thread on a couple of sites:)

I bought a Nissan Micra 1.2S in Jan this year, with a mileage on the clock of 13.5k and warranty(manufacturers) until October. This was from a franchised dealer. I have had a few problems with it, but primarily the brakes which I will concentrate on.

Pretty much straight away after buying the car, the brakes were squeaking. Took it to dealer, said it was the weather. About 3-4 months later it hadnt gone, so took it to another dealer for a second opinion, who said the front brake pads were severely worn. Took it back to the original dealer, who eventually capitulated and replaced the pads for free.

Fast forward to now, about 2 months later, 2000 miles later, and the brakes are squeaking again. Took it in, and it now needs replacement rear brake shoes and replacement front discs. To replace the discs, the brake pads(again!) need replacing. This is going to cost well in excess of £200.

Some brief background. The car was sold on the basis that it had a full service "and then some" before we collected it. Also, the car now has 20.5k on the clock, and it is now 6-7 months after original purchase. My relative has the same car, 21k on the clock, and has had to replace no brake parts - we are very similar drivers.

Needless to say, I am a bit peeved. My questions are as follows:

- Does anyone else agree that this seems as if the initial checks were not done properly?
- Do I have a point regarding the fact that the time between initially reporting the fault and it getting repaired, due to their weather comment, could have caused the disc damage(it now has a "lip" on the edge)?
- Do I have a claim on not fit for purpose, for something causing the brakes to wear this quickly?
- Do I have a claim on the fact that either the pads were not fitted properly causing the damage, or that the disc damage should have been spotted during this fitting, and as such a pointless replacement should have been prevented?
- Does anyone know how long this "lip" would usually take to appear? And does anyone know how long the pads/discs/shoes should last on average?

Thanks in advance!!
November £10 a day challenge - started 10th November :confused:

Current total: £0

Comments

• Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Not necessarily. The pads could have been low but not enough to warrant replacing them. A service would "advise" they needed changing before the next service but someone selling isn't obliged to tell you. Squeaking can be caused by many things, not just low brake pads. Sometimes, it's simply the fact there's no anti-squal shims and the person fitting them hasn't put some copaslip on the back face of the pads.

The lip appears over tens of thousands of miles and is "normal" wear.

Hard to pursue a claim for them as brakes are a "service items" and the rate they wear can be highly influenced by the driving style of the driver and the main area of use, i.e town or motorway. The fact that they stopped you and weren't down to metal shows they were "fit for use". The fact they squealed is irrelevent.

As I said, this lip takes 10,000's of miles to occur. There is no hard fast rule to how long discs and pads last as it is down to the material used in the pads, the "hardness" of the pads, the driving style of the driver and the type of driving mainly done. My brother wore a new set of pads out in under 10,000 miles and knackered a set of discs 2 years after I fitted them - about 20,000 miles. He's one of those who uses the brakes a lot. On the other hand, I very rarely need to change pads/discs in the time I own a car but I can drive from my house to where I work, some 22 miles, and use the brakes once.

Sadly it's a case of having to pay for them. Don't get them done at a main dealer though. Use a non franchised garage. Should be no more than £100 for parts and a couple of hours labour at worst.
  • darich
    darich Posts: 2,145 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Braking very gently to be gentle on the car can sometimes be worse than braking hard.
    Gentle braking causes lots of heat without a lot of wear (hence long lasting brakes) but the heat causes the pads to "glaze over" and form a very hard surface. In these cases the surface of the pad is hard enough to actually wear the disc at the same time as the pad.
    It sounds like your car is doing exactly that - lots of town driving with stop start and gentle braking but it wears out the discs quickly.

I make a point of now and again braking hard so that my ABS almost comes on so that the glazed surface of the pad is worn off and I'm not wearing out my discs too quickly.

As Conor has suggested, use an independent garage you can trust - it'll be cheaper but remember - they MUST use the proper Nissan parts for the car for any warranty you have to remain valid. If you get them to fit cheaper shoes/discs/whatever to save a few pounds then if you try to claim under the warranty from Nissan they'll likely refuse on the grounds that non-genuine parts were used and caused/exaggerated/accelerated the problem you're claiming for.
    If you have no warranty all you need to do is make sure the parts are of good quality - the brand does not matter.

Keen photographer with sales in the UK and abroad.
    Willing to offer advice on camera equipment and photography if i can!
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    MrShed wrote: »
    Hi all,

Sorry to waffle and sorry if bits arent directly relevant here - have posted same thread on a couple of sites:)

I bought a Nissan Micra 1.2S in Jan this year, with a mileage on the clock of 13.5k and warranty(manufacturers) until October.

One problem is that you don't know how or abusive the previous driver was on the brakes.
    The man without a signature.
  • puddy
    puddy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    MrShed wrote: »
    Hi all,

I bought a Nissan Micra 1.2S in Jan this year, with a mileage on the clock of 13.5k and warranty(manufacturers) until October. This was from a franchised dealer. I have had a few problems with it, but primarily the brakes which I will concentrate on.

Pretty much straight away after buying the car, the brakes were squeaking. Took it to dealer, said it was the weather. About 3-4 months later it hadnt gone, so took it to another dealer for a second opinion, who said the front brake pads were severely worn. Took it back to the original dealer, who eventually capitulated and replaced the pads for free.

Fast forward to now, about 2 months later, 2000 miles later, and the brakes are squeaking again. Took it in, and it now needs replacement rear brake shoes and replacement front discs. To replace the discs, the brake pads(again!) need replacing. This is going to cost well in excess of £200.

Some brief background. The car was sold on the basis that it had a full service "and then some" before we collected it. Also, the car now has 20.5k on the clock, and it is now 6-7 months after original purchase. My relative has the same car, 21k on the clock, and has had to replace no brake parts - we are very similar drivers.

Needless to say, I am a bit peeved. My questions are as follows:

- Does anyone else agree that this seems as if the initial checks were not done properly?
    - Do I have a point regarding the fact that the time between initially reporting the fault and it getting repaired, due to their weather comment, could have caused the disc damage(it now has a "lip" on the edge)?
    - Do I have a claim on not fit for purpose, for something causing the brakes to wear this quickly?
    - Do I have a claim on the fact that either the pads were not fitted properly causing the damage, or that the disc damage should have been spotted during this fitting, and as such a pointless replacement should have been prevented?
    - Does anyone know how long this "lip" would usually take to appear? And does anyone know how long the pads/discs/shoes should last on average?

Thanks in advance!!

Hi I read on a website called Peachorlemon.co.uk that someone else had this problem, dont know if that helps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure