My vegetable oil fuel experience...

Comments

• globalds
    globalds Posts: 9,431 Forumite
    Intersting thread this one ...Lots of interesting info .

If I were to buy a used car ...No real limit on price ..still in the normal car range ..Nor age ..although i don't want something too old .

What would be the best choice maker or model for running on SVO/WVO ,as in the highest percentage and tends to give the most trouble free milage ?

Also is there a comercial vehicle that stands out from the crowd ?
  • TheOne wrote: »
    I
    So I'm thinking of putting some veg oil in my 02 Peugeot 206 HDI
    If anyone finds any more links on what cars can/cant use diesel/veg oil mix and what injector pump is best please post.

your HDi engine will be fine as long as you twin tank it and get it fitted by people like smartveg.

in general you should not run veg oil through you IP or engine untill the fuel return reaches 45Deg C

I have done 12K miles on SVO without any issues, using a twin tank system.

The best sort of diesel is an older one, personally i would not touch anything french been there done that learnt my lesson, had two xantia's Hdi and a old XUD one both to unreliable and to expensive to run all ways going wrong. current car is a nissan primera, loves the SVO and has a denso fuel pump.
  • GarethK
    GarethK Posts: 180 Forumite
    Weird about your french car experience my Xantia is great, is the cheapest car i've ever had to run (on SVO of course!)

deano777 wrote: »
    your HDi engine will be fine as long as you twin tank it and get it fitted by people like smartveg.

in general you should not run veg oil through you IP or engine untill the fuel return reaches 45Deg C

I have done 12K miles on SVO without any issues, using a twin tank system.

The best sort of diesel is an older one, personally i would not touch anything french been there done that learnt my lesson, had two xantia's Hdi and a old XUD one both to unreliable and to expensive to run all ways going wrong. current car is a nissan primera, loves the SVO and has a denso fuel pump.
  • I have a Nissan Primera Turbo Diesel. This entry http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/fuelsdatabase/database/view.php?id=382 was made by myself on 03-08-2006. The car has been running on pure veg oil since then and is still going strong. At this time of writing with the recent cold spell the veg oil has been mixed 50/50 with diesel (much to my hate) It is legal to run on veg oil, as someone else has stated, so long as you use no more than 2500 litres a year. I think that to truly qualify for using veg oil you have to be producing some sort of biodiesel, how you achieve this from supermarket veg oil is quite simple, you simply have to put some other ingredient with it to call it a fuel that you have produced. It could be a bit of diesel, petrol, meths or parafin. So long as you have converted the veg oil into a biodiesel I think you comply, but how little the amount of the added ingredient you actually put in is up to you (once it is in a fuel tank it is going to have a taint of diesel anyway) Since starting on the veg oil it has nearly doubled in price in just over 18 months, to buy it now from the supermarket or wholesaler is around 75p per litre whereas it was 44p before, more info needed?, just ask in a post below this or PM me.
  • Today we put vegetable oil in our HDi engine and unfortunately it no longer starts. Just a warning to other HDi engine owners.
  • caffenero
    caffenero Posts: 296 Forumite
    anyone any ideas if a 2002 VW GOLF 130 GT TDI can use veg oil or biodiesel cant find it on the search....

has anyone found a place that sells biodiesel, if so how much is it per litre?
  • GarethK
    Today we put vegetable oil in our HDi engine and unfortunately it no longer starts. Just a warning to other HDi engine owners.

DONT!

Your HDI engine is not suitable for SVO/WVO use, it uses high pressure direct injection which will not tolerate any increase in fuel viscosity, the lift pumps in the tank are known to fail and the injectors and fuel system in general are not suitable. Small amounts of biodiesel (20%, maybe more but do seek professional advice first) could be suitable.

And you did that despite all the advice given? How much money did you save by adding vegetable oil to your tank? Probably cost you at least £5-600 quid to fix it, that would buy a decent amount of diesel. I can actually say, told you so!
  • GarethK
    caffenero wrote: »
    anyone any ideas if a 2002 VW GOLF 130 GT TDI can use veg oil or biodiesel cant find it on the search....

has anyone found a place that sells biodiesel, if so how much is it per litre?

Biodiesel yes, but dont do something stupid like SVO into your tank...
  • Mum_of_3_3
    Mum_of_3_3 Posts: 658 Forumite
    Hi!

This is a really interesting thread & some of you guys seem very knowledgeable about the whole thing, so I was wondering if you could help me.

My partner runs a 1993 (K-reg) Ford Transit tipper 190D LWB 2496CC and I was just wondering if it would run on either waste or pure veg oil??

With the price of diesel rising practically every day even a small amount would make a difference to our pockets.

Thanks

M_o_3
  • EXPAT_2
    EXPAT_2 Posts: 76
    Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    I always recommend trying small amounts first to see what happens, I think this model will run happily on veg oil.

Go to your local Macro or cash & carry & get 20 litre tubs if it does work ok. The price is around 15-17 quid for a 20 litre can.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure