Drain outside blocked

Comments

• mr1974
    mr1974 Posts: 163 Forumite
    I knew I had to come here before anything else. Thank you all guys for the incredibly useful (and moneysaving ;-) ) suggestions.

I am ill now and cannot try anything, but will go as per the suggestions, cheapest to most expensive when I feel better. Also some education is needed in the house on what should/should not go down the drain, to avoid this happening again.

When you say fat should go in the bin, what kind of fat are we talking about? What about cooking oil?
    Thanks
    mr1974
  • mr1974
    mr1974 Posts: 163 Forumite
    Do you know how to find out when my house was built btw
  • Cooking oil is evil, you should pour it over old newspapers and chuck it in the bin.
  • moggins wrote:
    If your house was built before 1900 then your water board are liable for blocked drains. I found this out a couple of months ago when our drains blocked and I couldn't unblock them no matter what I did. Someone on this site kindly told me all about this strange little loophole.

I believe your house needs to be built before 1937 to determine who's responsible for the drains.

Mine was built approx 1938 :rolleyes: I called the Council to find out the exact year and was told they don't keep a record of when houses were built, only of when they were sold over the years. :confused:
  • N9eav
    N9eav Posts: 4,742 Forumite
    mr1974 wrote:
    I knew I had to come here before anything else. Thank you all guys for the incredibly useful (and moneysaving ;-) ) suggestions.

I am ill now and cannot try anything, but will go as per the suggestions, cheapest to most expensive when I feel better. Also some education is needed in the house on what should/should not go down the drain, to avoid this happening again.

When you say fat should go in the bin, what kind of fat are we talking about? What about cooking oil?
    Thanks
    mr1974

Most every time you wash the dishes, some fat will no doubt be present, so it's hard to avoid completely.
    But avoid draining the cooked mince beef fat down the sink for example. Wipe out the frying pan with some kitchen roll, before washing. that kind of stuff.
    NO to pasty tax We won!!!! Just shows that people power works! Don't be apathetic to your cause!
  • samcat_2
    samcat_2 Posts: 166 Forumite
    mr1974 wrote:
    I knew I had to come here before anything else. mr1974

I know what you mean! :j I am newish to this site, and only came across it after buying the moneydiet book from Amazon almost as an afterthought. Now I find myself thinking of this site before I do anything! there are little savings here there and everywhere. AND I've learnt new things in terms of quality to truly understand the VALUE of products that I never knew before, including tyres, guttering and even the different types of weave in shirts... unbelievable .. I love this forum :beer:

mr1974 wrote:
    Thanks
    mr1974

All oil and fat should go in the bin. After a roast dinner or frying anything whether in a frying pan or pan or casserole dish I use either;

1) Kitchen towel for a thin layer of fat.. just use your hand like a spatula and the fats in the bin in one swish ... or

2) Big soft spatula for thicker layers of fat... this is really good for the roast potatoes tin when the fat solidifies.
  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    The illustration here shows how sewers on properties built before 1st Oct 1937 can be regarded as public. The drains leading to the main sewer are all private. No 16 is all private, I tried to come up with a reason for this and decided it must be from the point that 2 or more houses drain into, hence No.16 has no public sewerage.

Sounds to me like the OP's problem is to do with his private drain irrespective of when his house was built. But of course if the problem has been caused by a blocked main sewer (unlikely) which has backed up to his kitchen drain then it's possible if before 1937 the sewer is public.

I also clean my drains by hand, regularly, I don't bother with gloves & bin liners etc, I just go ahead and do it, and wash my hands afterwards, then i throw a couple of full buckets of water down the drain to clean it out, like a toilet flush.
  • C_Ronaldo
    C_Ronaldo Posts: 4,732 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    guys/gals i have just found that i have a blocked drain similar to mr1974's drain, i have tried the old trick with the kitchen glove and a black bin liner and see if you can unblock it well it kind of worked as the water level went down, froom what i could feel the drain goes down and then goes away from the house which i find odd, anyone else got any ideas, should i leave for a bit, its not worth pouring a kettle of boiling water down it as that would bring the level up again

ps the house was built around 1979ish
    No Links in Signature by site rules - MSE Forum Team 2
  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    C_Ronaldo wrote:
    guys/gals i have just found that i have a blocked drain similar to mr1974's drain, i have tried the old trick with the kitchen glove and a black bin liner and see if you can unblock it well it kind of worked as the water level went down, froom what i could feel the drain goes down and then goes away from the house which i find odd, anyone else got any ideas, should i leave for a bit, its not worth pouring a kettle of boiling water down it as that would bring the level up again

ps the house was built around 1979ish

You should have an U bend in the drain really to trap the dirt. But your description suggests you don't. so go to a DI store and ask for a set of drain rods.

But before you begin you should try to find out where the drain goes, does it go to a soakaway? if so there is every chance the whole pipe/soakaway has become blocked.

Does it go to the sewer? if so is there an inspection chamber nearby? lift the lid and have a look, the blockage could begin here or further downstream. you want to find where the blockage begins before you start proding.
  • C_Ronaldo
    C_Ronaldo Posts: 4,732 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    there is 2 inspection chambers nearby(do you mean the manhole type covers), from what we know the pipe goes away from the house and is connected with the pipes from the other houses,
    No Links in Signature by site rules - MSE Forum Team 2
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport