PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Crown Land Securities

Comments

• Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,801 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    HenryJames wrote: »
    I don't really know where you have got your info from. Land Banking has been around for years. Crown is very reputable and we have dealt with them on many occassions and had good returns.
    It is all about doing proper research into the area you intend to purchase a plot.
    There are clear risks but these guys are experts and know what they are doing.
    Yes they make a lot of money but so could you.
    The world is still round- these techniques were used all the time by private land owners and bokers say 15 years ago but now for many reasons there are opportunities for the private investor too.
    You cannot call this a scam. It is not a get rich fix but should be part of a structured investment plan.
    If I could give any advice it would be to take your investments seriously, do your homework; don't just listen to some guy on this site and who has no idea of what he is talking about.

Rubbish. As part of a "structured investment plan" I could buy an entire field of greenbelt land with the hope of obtaining planning permission for an entire development of houses in the future. That would be a less risky investment because I'd stand to make a great deal more money and at the very least I'd stand a hope of getting a development plan agreed which would meet the local plan at the time.

When you say good returns, have you had planning permission granted on any of your plots? When PP is granted, who owns the land where the road is planned to run (and presumably the services will need to go) to access these particular plots? Presuming it is Crown Investments how is the contract worded to allow the plot owners access to their land and public services without incurring more cost?

Funny how this is such a hot topic for a newbie after 6.5 months. :rolleyes:
    But I'm just some 'guy' who doesn't know what they're talking about :confused:

Tesco "land bank". I hardly think that buying 0.1acres of a field in rural Staffordshire qualifies as that.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • I am in no way connected with this company or any other of its kind.
    I have used two 'Land Banking' companies and admit they are not the correct investment for everybody. However, they have both done me well and I have been more than happy with my return (which has typically been x4 my outlay).
    To clarify; the plots which you purchase are not really done so with the thought of you building on them but with the hope that PP will be granted and the land then sold to a developer for profit. It is a relatively passive investment as the company acts as the broker, applies for PP etc etc
    The sites are well identified and researched.
    I can understand your views and as I have said this is not for everyone. However, I have been investing in and developing property for about 11 years now, my whole professional life, and I have found that land banking fits well into my strategy of investment as a mid to long term investment. I certainly would not suggest putting all my eggs into one basket and going for broke with this system but to say it does not work is not correct. It does and I have seen it happen and had the rewards myself.
    I am sorry that being a 'newbie' on this site does not, in some eyes, grant me much authority.
  • ps I do not understand the Tesco comment or know anything about investing in rural Staffordshire.
  • Doozergirl
    Well, you may be missing the irony bone but you haven't answered my questions which I felt were quite clear?

"When you say good returns, have you had planning permission granted on any of your plots? When PP is granted, who owns the land where the road is planned to run (and presumably the services will need to go) to access these particular plots? Presuming it is Crown Investments how is the contract worded to allow the plot owners access to their land and public services without incurring more cost?"
  • Doozergirl
    Of what benefit is it to a plot owner if CLS own 49% of the potential development land when each plot has it's own freehold title?
  • You are clearly not a believer in this. That is ok.
    It works and has made me alot of money.

The answer to your question is I don't know who owns the road, I don't really care. By the time building starts I already have my return! and yes several sites have been granted PP.

I do not quite understand the other question but of course it is in their interest to own half the site, they make alot of money from that.

Are you sure you understand the concept?

I find you quite bullish and rude; and there is no need. I am intitled to my opinion just as you are. You think this system does not work, I know it does because I have been involved first hand.

Maybe you should try it!!

I have nothing further to add.
  • Doozergirl
    If you read through my posts, you'll find that I'm neither bullish nor rude when someone has something genuine to give or ask. I am asking genuine questions and whilst being cynical, you have the perfect opportunity to answer those questions with the benefit of having invested. You will have to forgive me if I assume that you didn't read through the last six months of posts before finally deciding to reply on this particular thread and choosing not to post on any other thread at all.
    Maybe I'd try it (as you suggest) if someone could give me a little more useful information :confused:. Investing in property myself and this being a MoneySaving site, I like to research exactly what it is before my money into something. Perhaps you aren't personally involved; you're either being evasive or don't seem to know very much about this company that you have dealt with many times :confused:

I'd genuinely love to see examples of the developments that have sprung up as a result of these small plots being sold off seperately.
  • Doozergirl
    From an article in the Observer linked to from the site linked to by ABN (iyswim!):

"...Anyone tempted by one of these investments should bear in mind the fact that there is not a single known example to date of a site divided up into small investment plots receiving planning permission for development - despite what any of the salesmen claim about their 'track record'."

"Hayden James, for example, claims on its website that 'land prices over the past 20 years have seen consistent rises totalling over 1,000 per cent with no signs of slowing'."

Nothing to do with you, HenryJames? Or would that be too much of a coincidence?
  • david29dpo
    david29dpo Posts: 3,748 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    HenryJames wrote: »
    You are clearly not a believer in this. That is ok.
    It works and has made me alot of money.

The answer to your question is I don't know who owns the road, I don't really care. By the time building starts I already have my return! and yes several sites have been granted PP.

I do not quite understand the other question but of course it is in their interest to own half the site, they make alot of money from that.

Are you sure you understand the concept?

I find you quite bullish and rude; and there is no need. I am intitled to my opinion just as you are. You think this system does not work, I know it does because I have been involved first hand.

Maybe you should try it!!

I have nothing further to add.
    and you say you have no connection with this company? right!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure