New fire for a back boiler

Hello all, we have a horrible dated 1980s gas fire in the new home we've moved into. It's got a back boiler behind it and when we had the gas check carried out on the house before we moved in we were advised we couldn't just buy a new gas fire to replace it as we needed to have something that was compatible with the back boiler.

I'm guessing that's virtually nothing these days as back boilers aren't put in anymore? So can anyone advise where we might be able to get a new gas fire that's a) modern and b) relatively unexpensive (!) that we can use with the back boiler?

Thank you

Comments

• EliteHeat
    EliteHeat Posts: 1,382 Forumite
    Not possible. If it upsets you that much, bite the bullet and scrap the back boiler for something that belongs in the 21st century.

Otherwise, enjoy the reliability, if not stylishness, of your old relic.

P.S. I've got one as well, I'm looking at it now, horrible.
  • Sagaris
    Sagaris Posts: 1,852
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    I had a new Baxi back boiler to replace an old one about 4 years ago - it replaced a 25 year old one! I had to have the same again as I haven't got a suitable outside wall or any other area for a condensing boiler. I got a new fire for it at the same time.
    Depends on the make of boiler as to which fire will go with it - what make is yours?
    :j Almost 2 stones gone! :j
    :heart2: RIP Clio 1.9.93 - 7.4.10 :heart2:
    :p I WILL be tidy, I WILL be tidy! :p
  • newbie71_2
    newbie71_2 Posts: 114 Forumite
    Hello, I can't remember the make but have it written down somewhere - we're the same as you in that we don't have anywhere else sensible to put a new boiler in the house....I think I might start trawling ebay for one of those old fashioned fire screens! :rolleyes:
  • EliteHeat
    newbie71 wrote: »
    Hello, I can't remember the make but have it written down somewhere - we're the same as you in that we don't have anywhere else sensible to put a new boiler in the house....I think I might start trawling ebay for one of those old fashioned fire screens! :rolleyes:

In England, under the high efficiency condensing boiler points-based exemption system, it is impossible to justify fitting a standard efficiency boiler anywhere other than a flat or apartment. It has been this way since 2005.

Whilst you might think that there is nowhere sensible to position a new boiler (and you will almost certainly be right) it seems that the government know better.

Only the very newish electronic versions of the Baxi Bermuda can be fitted with a range of (almost) stylish fire-fronts, but they are outrageously expensive.
  • mummyof3_2
    mummyof3_2 Posts: 116 Forumite
    We have just moved into our very first house:j , have a back boiler and have one of those hiddious fires:eek: . Our finances don't stretch to a combi boiler so we have to put up with this monstrocity until we can afford a decent heating system. Anyway we had our fire checked by a Corgi man and he promptly stuck a warning sticker on the fire as it has a crack in the glass. Needing another fire my oh searched on ebay and managed to find a replacement one.
    So all I can suggest is to get a 'lovely fire' but try and modernize it with the hearth, back panel and manel, but be sure to measure the dementions of the fire correctely. Hope this helps x;)
  • depends on make and model of bbu, if you have a baxi, for example 551/552 there are many fire fronts available that are compatible, best one probably the vp if you have a hearth and surround or the sp if its wall mounted, they are bloody expensive to buy new but are available second hand as they need to be taken out/ shut off if the back boiler is decommisioned to fit a combi etc.
    try looking in the free ads or e bay etc.
    hope this helps, paul.
  • Hi. I recently had a replacement back boiler installed.
    is it neccessary to have a gas fire installed and attached to the boiler, or can i box in the fireplace without a fire?
  • EliteHeat
    JustinEvs wrote: »
    Hi. I recently had a replacement back boiler installed.
    is it neccessary to have a gas fire installed and attached to the boiler, or can i box in the fireplace without a fire?

No, the fire must stay in place. It forms part of the flue system and you will stand a good chance of dying if you remove it!
  • Those of you who are in the know / have replaced a back boiler, can you give me any idea on cost? I'm moving into a house with one and have been researching the subject. I think I would qualify on the points basis to be able to replace it but I can only find prices on the net for the firefronts not the actual boiler itself. Any idea on labour cost would be great too!

I'm also a little concerned on perfomance. It's an average size 3 bed house with lounge, kitchen and dining room. Can the boiler cope with 7/8 radiators does anyone know?

Many thanks for any advice

jayne
  • AdrianW2
    AdrianW2 Posts: 416 Forumite
    Since this thread was started Baxi have introduced a SEDBUK A back boiler. Costs, or even availability, seem hard to get and it needs a condensate drain.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure