Jobseekers' Allowance

I've read in a couple of threads recently that you can't claim JSA if you are sacked.

You also can't claim it if you voluntarily leave yur job.

When exactly CAN you get it then?????:confused:
(AKA HRH_MUngo)
Member #10 of £2 savers club
Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton

Comments

• jonuk7
    jonuk7 Posts: 193 Forumite
    You cant claim JSA for 26 weeks if you voluntarily leave your job without very good reason. As for if your sacked i dont think that is correct as i was sacked and went straight onto JSA.
  • maytaurus
    maytaurus Posts: 2,115 Forumite
    jonuk7 wrote: »
    You cant claim JSA for 26 weeks if you voluntarily leave your job without very good reason. As for if your sacked i dont think that is correct as i was sacked and went straight onto JSA.
    My son left his job to go back to college to complete one last course in order to become self employed/start his own business
    then his course was canceled ... to be changed to a later date !
    He was told he couldn't claim JSA
    As you say,if you are sacked you can have £ straight away.....
    It doesn't seem fair to me ... but then ...that's life
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane[FONT=&quot] —[FONT=&quot] Marcus Aurelius[/FONT][/FONT]
  • Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    It's because if you left your job voluntarily they may ask why you did it and it may not be suitable. But if you were sacked you have no choice but to leave. I left my old job, a couple of weeks later I claimed JSA, but I could receive it as I moved town. So that's another way you can claim it. If it's a temp job you do and they don't need you anymore, you can claim it then as well.
  • jonuk7
    jonuk7 Posts: 193 Forumite
    basically as Sharon87 said if you leave your job voluntarily you have purposly made yourself unemployed therefore stopped any earnings you had coming in, whereas if you are sacked you have no choice but to leave and stop getting a wage so therefore no money to live on.
    maytaurus wrote: »
    My son left his job to go back to college to complete one last course in order to become self employed/start his own business
    then his course was canceled ... to be changed to a later date !
    He was told he couldn't claim JSA
    As you say,if you are sacked you can have £ straight away.....
    It doesn't seem fair to me ... but then ...that's life

Explain how that is "unfair" sorry but i would happily agree to someone who got the sack getting JSA but someone who just upped and outed then why should they sponge off the system because they didnt want to work?
  • maytaurus
    maytaurus Posts: 2,115 Forumite
    jonuk7 wrote: »
    basically as Sharon87 said if you leave your job voluntarily you have purposly made yourself unemployed therefore stopped any earnings you had coming in, whereas if you are sacked you have no choice but to leave and stop getting a wage so therefore no money to live on.

Explain how that is "unfair" sorry but i would happily agree to someone who got the sack getting JSA but someone who just upped and outed then why should they sponge off the system because they didnt want to work?
    My son did not
    ''just upped and outed ... and did not want to ''sponge off the system because he didnt want to work?''

You can get sacked (I'm not meaning made redundant or laid off) for lots of reasons,but presumably because you have not been doing your job properly, or had a bad attitude etc
    Then you can get £ from the government
    But if you've always worked and paid into the system .... only stop work because you have arranged to improve yourself and perhaps be able to offer others employment ... you cannot claim anything while you re-organize your life ....
    Sorry but I see this as unfair

Just my opinion ?
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane[FONT=&quot] —[FONT=&quot] Marcus Aurelius[/FONT][/FONT]
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    I've read in a couple of threads recently that you can't claim JSA if you are sacked.

You also can't claim it if you voluntarily leave yur job.

When exactly CAN you get it then?????:confused:

1. When a temporary contract ends.
    2. When you're made redundant.
    3. When your company moves out of the area.
    4. When YOU move out of the area (I think!).

There's probably more.

Don't forget, it's not that you can't get it at all, but that you can't get it immediately, because you're sanctioned for a period of time.
  • Cases are referred to the Decision Maker for 'Leaving Volutarily' or 'Misconduct'.

Being sacked comes under potential misconduct and should be referred to the decision maker to determine if the conduct of the employee was the reason for the job ending. In order to make this decision, both the Jobseeker and Employer are asked for the reasons the job ended. The decision does take a while to come through and in this time JSA is normally payable.

Leaving voluntarily is dealt with in a similar way. Question are ased from both the employer and Jobseeker and sent to the decision maker for a decision.

In both of these scenarios, the maximum sanction is a 26 week sanction.

Redundancy, end of contract are the normal reasons for job ending that generally don't get sanctions.

Remember, anyone can CLAIM benefit at ANY time. Entitlement however is a different matter as this needs an adjudication to be made.
  • I always thought you COULD get it straight away if you were sacked (because you haven't left voluntarily) - some answers given on here seem to suggest that too. I thought it was only if you left voluntarily that sanctions were applied.

So can you or can't you or does it depend upon a decision-maker as mentioned by UKdickie above????
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • bestpud
    bestpud Posts: 11,048 Forumite
    You may get sanctioned if you are sacked through misconduct, but not if it is not your fault.

If you think about it, they can't just give it to anyone who is sacked as the die hard unemployed would just keep getting themselves sacked, wouldn't they?

Or if someone was getting a bit fed up with their job, they'd do that as opposed to walking out?

And, as I see it, getting sacked for misconduct is the same as leaving voluntarily (unless we are going to claim employees are not responsible for their behaviour at work) and, as such, should be treated equally by JCP.
  • Hi bestpud, thanks for your post - it makes sense when you put it like that!
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure