Getting back off watch to replace battery.

Hi there,

I have a few watches lying around that need replacement batteries but I really dont know how to get back off. I understand you can buy a watchmakers kit on ebay to do this, has anyone used one of them and if its any good to get back off watch,

thanks martin57

Comments

• melipona
    melipona Posts: 492 Forumite
    Many of them are pressed on, you can CAREFULLY use 2 stanly knives to prise the back off, if you need small watchmakers screwdrivers then you may find a local maplins helpful, they also stock the batteries
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The better ones have screw backs and the cheaper ones just press on, so no special tools are required.
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • grownup1
    grownup1 Posts: 270 Forumite
    The backs of cheap watches can be harder to press back on than to get off in the first place.... We just kept pressing and cursing till it worked! It is worth it though, as you can get a lifetime supply of watch batteries in a pack at pound shops.
  • russ_c
    russ_c Posts: 241 Forumite
    If you look carefully some watchbacks have a tiny gap under them which make it easier to lever them off, i use one of those tiny screwdriver sets to do it. Love those cards of batteries you can get for a pound!
  • jazzy
    jazzy Posts: 1,076 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I bought a watch back removing tool from this company a few years ago
    http://www.watchbattery.co.uk/shop/Watch_Tools_Accessories.shtml#AtTheTop
    It works great!
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I once managed to bend the back of a supposedly expensive watch with push-fit back, trying to replace the back. Having a look at that tool website - looks a good find, I need the press!
  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 3,407 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If it's a screw on back with the small indentations round the edge, a pair of long nose pliers will usually undo it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure