Installing a catflap in a pvc door?

Comments

• looby-loo_2
    looby-loo_2 Posts: 1,566 Forumite
    Or put the cat flap in the wall. Cat hides in it too.
    Doing voluntary work overseas for as long as it takes .......
    My DD might make the odd post for me
  • fimonkey
    fimonkey Posts: 1,238 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Have been up against this many times,all research pointed to the best option being ...
    changing the bottom glazed panel by popping the beads off (a filling knife is good for this) and cutting a board of the same thickness and size as the glass.
    Next,cut the hole according to instructions.
    Then prime the board with a 50/50 mix of PVA and water and repeat after first (generous) coat.
    then spray or paint the surface with sufficient coats to cover well,i prefer a spray as it gives a better finish.
    Next you need to fit the catflap into the board.
    then pop the board in the door and re-bead it!
    ###TOP TIP### cover your hammer with an old white sock/cleanwhite rag to protect the beads as you tap them back in!
    Itll can be an idea to use a board 1-2mm thinner than the glazed unit to allow for paint and ease of refitting.

Apologies if im teaching my gran to suck eggs?
  • sooz
    sooz Posts: 4,560 Forumite
    we finally got round to fitting a catflap in our upvc door (glass top, and panelled upvc bottom). I'd been reading this with interest, and had got several quotes for blank bottom upvc panels & catflap fitting, and was horrifed at the costs. £120plus.:eek:

so we thought if we'd have to spend that, we might as well have a go with the current panelled upvc bottom panel.

after measuring, we drilled a pilot hole, to see if the door had a metal layer (it didn't) and cut the hole out very easily with a jigsaw. The catflap fitted very well, and around it we put white bathroom sealant to disguise the small gaps where the panel is not flat.

cat is now very happy (apart from the fact that one other local bully cat who needs an asbo is using it to let himself in :mad: )
  • never_enough
    never_enough Posts: 1,495 Forumite
    sooz wrote: »
    cat is now very happy (apart from the fact that one other local bully cat who needs an asbo is using it to let himself in :mad: )

Buy a water pistol & wait for him to come visiting!! ;)
  • redballoon_2
    redballoon_2 Posts: 1,555 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    we did this and we took out the glazing panel and got some wood of some sort and fitted that in the hole with the cat flap in that.

Hope that makes sense!
    Make £10 a day challenge March 2013 £101.24 / £240 :j
    WSC 10 March - £0 / £5
    Debt £17,294 - 7th March
  • I have back door in which the top half is glass and bottom half is pvc. I dont wich to replace the door but I wish to remove the cat flap as i dont have a cat and the flap lets in draughs and insects. Is it possible to buy a cat flap cover (a dummy flap) to seal it up or do you know roughly how much it would cost to replace the pvc half?
  • The two posts above are an infringement of site rules.

They have been reported.
  • I have back door in which the top half is glass and bottom half is pvc. I dont wich to replace the door but I wish to remove the cat flap as i dont have a cat and the flap lets in draughs and insects. Is it possible to buy a cat flap cover (a dummy flap) to seal it up or do you know roughly how much it would cost to replace the pvc half?

I have the same problem. Can anyone help?
  • sooz wrote: »
    we finally got round to fitting a catflap in our upvc door (glass top, and panelled upvc bottom). I'd been reading this with interest, and had got several quotes for blank bottom upvc panels & catflap fitting, and was horrifed at the costs. £120plus.:eek:

so we thought if we'd have to spend that, we might as well have a go with the current panelled upvc bottom panel.

after measuring, we drilled a pilot hole, to see if the door had a metal layer (it didn't) and cut the hole out very easily with a jigsaw. The catflap fitted very well, and around it we put white bathroom sealant to disguise the small gaps where the panel is not flat.

We will need to do the same with our upvc door, can you tell me how easy it was doing it yourself ? Hubby is worried about spliting the panel.
    Thanks
    Stacey
  • Hi. This is not a response to the original question cat flaps in upvc doors, but wondered if anyone had found similar problems with the Big Cat Small Dog Staywell cat flap which have just had installed by professional glazier (£100) in uPVC door? The cat flap doesn't look at all waterproof on the outside, especially as the cat flap is not flush with the external upvc door - can therefore see daylight between cat flap and hole made in upvc door for the fitting. Also just noticed that the so called tunnel (made of the flimsiness plastic) is now broken (cat must have put his paw on tunnel floor when coming in through cat flap) so even bigger gap and consequently freezing cold draft coming through.

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport